[Rarebooks] FS: 1810 Royal Funeral Floor Plan

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jul 19 12:37:44 EDT 2019

1810 Sketch of the ‘Arrangement of St. George’s Chapel, Windsor, at the
Funeral of HRH Princess Amelia’.

A “beautiful, slender girl with ruby lips and auburn hair… amiable,
spirited, unselfish and intelligent”, and the “most turbulent and
tempestuous of all the Princesses”, Princess Amelia [b.1783] was the
fifteenth child and sixth (& youngest) daughter of King George III. Even
her sister-in-law, the Princess Caroline, who disliked her in-laws with
a fierce intensity, estimated Amelia as the "most amiable of the bunch".
Princess Amelia was said to be her father’s favorite, and he called her
‘Emily’, though the duties of kingship, and his increasingly frequent
bouts of insanity, resulted in Amelia and her closest sisters, Mary and
Sophia, being brought up by governesses.

Starting around 1798 Amelia suffered a series of ailments, including
early symptoms of tuberculosis, for which she was often sent to the
seaside to recuperate, but she never really regained full health. An
1808 case of measles deteriorated into erysipelas, and she died on the
2nd of November, 1810. Her death is credited by some historians as
having helped push George III into the final mental decline which
resulted in the institution of the Regency Act of 1811, and he was said
by his physician to cry "in a wild, monotonous, delirious way, 'Oh
Emily, why won't you save your father? I hate all the physicians…”. She
was buried on November 13th at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

This sketch of the arrangement of the chapel for the funeral includes
the coffin and chairs around it, and notes about which royal personages,
lords, and officials were sitting in each section. Presumably sketched
at the time of the funeral, with one cross-out and correction.

Single sheet. 8”x12.5”. Folds, edge wear, corners chipped. Minor soil.
[45697]  $1,200

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-45697-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-45697-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-45697-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-45697-cover4.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.