[Rarebooks] FS: Ovid's Metamorphoses. In fifteen books. A new translation. By several hands. Adorn'd with cuts

Morgan Brynnan info at uncommon-works.com
Sun Jun 9 21:06:30 EDT 2019

Ovid; George Sewell; J. Philips; John Hughes; Mr. Chute; Mr. Dart; Mr. [Alexander] Pope; Mr. Theobald; Capt. Morrice. Ovid's Metamorphoses. In fifteen books. A new translation. By several hands. Adorn'd with cuts / Ovid's Metamorphoses made English. By several hands [15 books in two separate volumes, complete] .
London: A. Bettesworth and W. Taylor in Pater-Noster-Row, E. Curll in Fleet-Street, and J. Browne without Temple-Bar, 1717. First Edition.

Scarce. A very good first edition of this version ---- there were competing editors
in 1717 --- complete and collated in two volumes. This work released after Dryden's Ovid translations. Sewell's translations went on to sell in three editions total. Title page on Volume I is loose and reads, "Ovid's Metamorphoses. In fifteen books. A new translation. By several hands. Adorn'd with cuts." Consistent with the worldcat entry for this set, the titlepage to vol. II reads: "Ovid's Metamorphoses made English. By several hands.
.," and J. Browne's name is spelled "Brown." Blind and gilt tooled leather boards. Four raised bands. Original paper labels on spines. Joints shallowly cracked on volume I and starting on volume II. Minor loss to spine on volume II. With woodcut bookplate of Glanville Wynkoop Smith on front pastedown of both volumes. One signature on volume II has pulled away from endband and is a bit proud. Text in English is crisp and clear.
Marginalia present, including a beautiful short [original??] melody neatly pencilled on rear pastedown. Toning to pastedowns and free endpapers. Marvelous woodcuts throughout. Unpaginated. 3 3/4 x 6 inches tall, 32mo. Very good. Full leather.

>From the personal library of artist, architect, musician, author, journalist, poet, naturalist and historian Glanville Wynkoop Smith, author of Many a Green Isle (1941) and The adventures of Sir Ignatius Tippitolio, better known to the world as Tippy, proprietor of Tippitolio's grand imperial hotel Oriella (1945). (903) $1,100.00

Usual courtesies to the trade.

Kind regards,

Morgan