[Rarebooks] FS: A Variety of Americana

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jun 24 10:12:19 EDT 2019

 From our new RECENT AMERICANA ACQUISITIONS Catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog402.pdf>

  -

1)  19th Century Fine Art Copyists Atlanta & Chicago Trade Card.  “J.M.
Ellis Agent for the Atlanta & Chicago Copying Company - Pictures of all
kinds copied and enlarged to any size, and finished in the Finest Style
of the Art in Oil, India Ink, Water Colors, Crayon and Pastel. The
Celebrated Berlin Silver Plate a Specialty”.  Card. 3.5”x2.5”. Some soil
and wear.  [47835]  $35

   A Picture =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47835-cover.jpg>

2)  1860s New York Private Detective Agency Business Card.  An
interesting business card for Thomas P. Jones & Co., “Private Detectives
and General Inquiry and Information Agency” of 486 Broadway, New York
City. Two of the references listed at the bottom give us a date between
1861 and 1866- A. Oakley Hall was elected New York County D.A. in
November 1861 and served until November 1868 when he was elected Mayor
of New York; John A. Dix was appointed Major General of NY Volunteers at
the start of the Civil War and left the country to serve as Minister to
France in 1866.  Card. 3.5”x2.25”. Minor soil, some wear, right edge
with loss and damage.  {48108}  $45

   A Picture =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-48108-cover.jpg>

3)  1870s D.P. Lindsey Shorthand Reporter Boston Business Card.  “D.P.
Lindsley, Short-Hand Verbatim Reporter, office of Bryant, Stratton &
Co.’s Boston Business College”. Bryant, Stratton & Co. operated business
colleges in a number of U.S. cities at the time, the Boston branch does
not seem to have been particularly long-lived. By the 1880s Lindsey had
moved to New York and invented the ‘Takigraphy’ method of shorthand; he
published several books on the technique from his office in New York
City.  Card. 4”x2.5”. Minor soil, light wear.  {48109}  $40

   A Picture =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-48109-cover.jpg>

4)  1900s United States Wall Paper Co. Wallpaper Trade Card.  “The most
complete selection of paper hangings in all grades including the Latest
Novelty Effects, Burlaps, Lincrusta, Room Mouldings, Etc.”.  Card.
5”x3.5”. Some soil and wear.  [47837]  $35

   A Picture =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47837-cover.jpg>

5)  Victorian Flavoring Extracts & Spices Philadelphia Trade Card.  A
lovely trade card for Robert Shoemaker & Co. of Philadelphia, “Flavoring
Extracts and Pure Spices - Wholesale Druggists”.  Card. 4”x2”. Minor
soil, light wear.  [47836]  $25

   A Picture =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47836-cover.jpg>

A variety of other unusual, amusing, enigmatic, & asinine items
in our new RECENT AMERICANA ACQUISITIONS Catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog402.pdf>

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.