[Rarebooks] FS: 1963 Amphicar Hybrid Automobile / Boat Illustrated Sales Brochure

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Sat Mar 2 08:41:09 EST 2019

1963 Amphicar Hybrid Automobile / Boat Illustrated Sales Brochure.

“The Amphicar Model 770 is an amphibious automobile, launched at the
1961 New York Auto Show, manufactured in West Germany and marketed from
1961 to 1968. Production stopped in 1965. A descendant of the Volkswagen
Schwimmwagen, the Amphicar offered only modest performance compared to
most contemporary boats or cars, featured navigation lights and flag as
mandated by Coast Guard — and after operation in water, required
greasing at 13 points, one of which required removal of the rear seat.
One owner was quoted "It's not a good car and it's not a good boat, but
it does just fine" largely because of modest performance in and out of
water. Another added, ‘We like to think of it as the fastest car on the
water and fastest boat on the road.’ President Lyndon B. Johnson was
known as an owner of an Amphicar. Johnson, a known practical joker, was
said to enjoy frightening visitors at his Johnson City, Texas ranch by
driving them downhill in his Amphicar, directly into his property's
lake, all the while shouting that he had malfunctioning brakes”
[Wikipedia].

Booklet. 10”x6”, 5 pages, color and black & white illustrations. Some
soil, light wear. [47417]  $125

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47417-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47417-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47417-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47417-cover4.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm>

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.