[Rarebooks] FS: 3 1876 Handwritten Letters from Glasgow re: Tobacco Pipes

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Thu Mar 21 07:34:25 EDT 2019

3 Handwritten Letters from Glasgow Merchant to Portland Maine Regarding
Tobacco Pipes.

"Via Cork - Glasgow 18 Nov 1876 - Geo. H. Starr Esq., Portland U.S. -
Dear Sir, we duly received your esteemed favor of the 20th advising sale
of 400 boxes of tobacco pipes on account of messrs. Davidson + Co. to
ship "Glenfinnart" - of this we have duly advised our friend in the want
of sales in the hope that $2 per box will cover them. By the
"Glenbervie" sailing from Clyde today Messrs. Davidson ships to your
care other *500 boxes leaving it to your discretion to realize them in
Boston (to where the ship is going) or in Portland. As you may find the
best market. We will send you documents with full particulars as soon as
possible. *500 boxes - Meantime, we remain, Dear sir, yours faithfully,
Malcom, MacGeorge + Co."

- - -

"Via Cork - Glasgow 25 Nov 1876 - Geo. H. Starr Esq., Portland U.S.A. -
Dear Sirs, Since writing you on the 18th inst. we have received none of
your favours, and await (illegible) and remittance for the tobacco pipes
by "Glenfinnart". Herein we enclose certified invoice + bll/lading of
S/p 500 boxes of tobacco pipes consigned to your care by messrs.
Davidson by "Glenbervie" sailing ship which sailed from Clyde on the
18th inst. - As already advised, it is left to your discretion to
realize these pipes in Boston or Portland and you will kindly as usual
remit the proceeds with (illegible) sale to us as we advance in the
shipments. We remain, Dear Sir, yours faithfully Malcolm, MacGeorge +
Co."

- - -

"Via Cork - Glasgow 2 Dec 1876 - Geo. H. Starr Esq., Portland U.S.A. -
Dear Sir, since writing you on the 25th inst. we have had the pleasure
to receive your esteemed favor of Nov 10th 16th the former enclosing of
sales of tobacco pipes (illegible) "Glenfinnart and remittances against
same for L 95.18.6 for which we beg to thank you. We have accounted to
Messrs. Davidson for the sum and take note with thanks of return
commission. Mr. Davidson being absent from business through illness we
cannot report on the result of the consignment but we should think that
on the whole it will be satisfactory. We trust the return by
"Glenbervie" will be still more favorable. We remain Dear Sir, Yours
faithfully, Malcolm, MacGeorge + Co."

- - -

Malcom, McGeorge & Co. were active commission agents and
merchants/exporters listed in several Glasgow commercial directories in
the 1870s. The Glenfinnart was an iron-hulled ship of 1601 tons, built
in Glasgow and operated by the Allan Line. She went missing on the 27th
of September 1890 while on a voyage from the Clyde to San Francisco. The
Glenbervie was an 800-ton iron-hulled ship which also sailed for the
Allan Line; she had been launched in 1866.

- - -

3 letters. 8"x10", Minor soil, light wear. $35

Some Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42381-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42381-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42381-page3.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.