[Rarebooks] FS: TLS from Igor Stravinsky to his friend & biographer Merle Armitage. 5/17/59

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 15:45:12 EDT 2019

(AUTOGRAPHS) Stravinsky, Igor. TLS May 17/59 by Igor Stravinsky, addressed in ink to "Dear Merle Armitage" on Stravinsky's printed 1/2 sheet notepaper (5-1/2" x 11"). The note is typed: "Back from Japan I receive your word of May 15. I certainly will be glad to have a copy of the Siohan's book (I heard about it) and thank you for offering it to me. Flying the 20th to Copenhagen (for a few days) and will send you your copy with my signature as soon as I will receive it (hoping before my trip). All best, cordially your. I. Stravinsky" (signed in ink). Fine.    $850.00 (trade discount allowed)
Merle Armitage and Stravinsky were close friends. Armitage edited the first book on Stravinsky in 1936, and a second book in 1949, and they collaborated on many programs at the Hollywood Bowl over the years. The "Siohan's book" referred to is a biography of Stravinsky published in 1959, written by Robert Siohan.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342