[Rarebooks] FS: 75% Off

Allington Books allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 19:16:59 EDT 2019

Today and Tomorrow, we offer the below-described rare set.

> Multiple images can be found at www.allingtonbooks.com and the Terms of
> Sale are:
>

> Free Priority Mail shipping within the continental US, elsewhere at cost
>
> *Immediate payment required.  Please email us and we will send a PayPal
> invoice or provide your phone number and we will call to get your credit
> card and mailing information.*
>
> Returnable [in the same condition as delivered to Buyer] within 7 days of
> Buyer's receipt.
>
> Subject to prior sale.

Weber, J. C.
Die Alpen-Pflanzen Deutschlands und der Schweiz in colorirten Abbildungen
nach der Natur und in natürlicher Grösse. (The alpine-plants from Germany
and Switzerland in colored illustrations after nature.) Mit systematisch
geordnetem Text von Dr. C.A. Kranz. [Rare in Dust Jackets and Original
Boxes]

Munchen [Munich]: Christian Kiser, [1867 / 1868]. Second Edition [1867]
with First Edition of the Supplement [1868]. Hardcover. A Near Fine to Fine
copy of this remarkable work consisting of 400 colored plates showing
flowering plants from the Alpine region with the plant names given both in
German and in Latin, the bindings in excellent condition (showing only
light rubbing at the spine ends and board corners and some cracks and
splits to some of the hinges) and the front board illustrations and spine
lettering and illustration of each volume in brilliant gilt (with only mild
oxidation to a couple of the volumes). Each volume shows some foxing to the
edges of its closed page block and the illustrations show only occasional
bits of foxing. Each volume measures approximately 5 inches X 3 1/2 inches
and comes in its RARE original dust jacket, with some small wear and small
tears where the the front and rear panels join their respective spine
panels -- otherwise with such jackets showing only minor wear and minor
chipping, and light sunning to the spine panels. The set is housed in the
RARE ORIGINAL BOXES, with the first three [undated but published in 1867]
volumes housed together in their original box and the 1868 supplement
housed separately in its own box. The boxes are in about Very Good
condition with some splitting at the seams. The larger box also shows a
couple of tape repairs. This second edition and its supplement constitute
the first set of volumes to contain all 400 illustrations. [Some History:
The 1846 first edition was published in two volumes which together
contained 200 plates. A third volume of 100 additional plates was published
in 1856, making 300 total plates published. Then, in 1867, the second
edition of those first three volumes was issued, with a fourth,
supplemental, volume of 100 additional plates being added in 1868, making a
total of 400 plates in the set. Thus, the three 1867 volumes -- together
with the 1868 supplemental volume -- comprise the first complete set of 400
plates described in this listing -- thereafter both the third edition
(1872) and the fourth edition (1880) were published in four volumes having
a total of 400 plates in each such edition.] Thus, we have here the first
complete set of all 400 plates. Such complete sets are quite scarce,
especially when in a condition as nice as are these volumes. Copies in
their original dust jackets are extraordinarily difficult to find (and are
perhaps even RARE) and those in a condition as nice as is this set in their
original dust jackets and original boxes are QUITE RARE INDEED. A
remarkable and collection-distinguishing set. Fine / very good +. Item #912

Price: $7,500.00  AVAILABLE FOR $1,875.00

Stephen Johnson
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC
Rare and Collectible Books, both Antiquarian and Modern
www.allingtonbooks.com