[Rarebooks] FS: 1876 Fourth of July Oration in Boston by Winthrop - American Centennial

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Sun Mar 31 16:13:26 EDT 2019

Oration delivered before the City Council and Citizens of Boston, on the
One hundredth Anniversary of the Declaration of American Independence,
July 4, 1876.

By the Hon. Robert C. Winthrop. Printed in Boston by order of the City
Council, in 1876.

A Centennial Celebration oration, given by a notable member of one of
the great political and philanthropic families of the Bay State. Robert
Charles Winthrop [1809-1894], a descendant of John Winthrop, studied law
with Daniel Webster, and served as Speaker of both the House of
Representatives in Massachusetts and the House of Representatives in
Washington, before retiring from politics at age 41 to devote the
remainder of his long life to literary and philanthropic pursuits. He
served for 30 years as president of the Massachusetts Historical
Society, and upon his birthday in 1892, “it was noted that he had the
distinction of having known every President of the United States except
Washington and Jefferson”. A noted orator, he spoke at the dedication of
the Washington Monument in 1848. His great-great grandson is former
Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts.

Softcover. 6”x10”, 96 pages. Covers with edge chips, spine chips, light
soil, unopened. [43554]  $65

Some Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43554-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43554-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43554-page1.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.