[Rarebooks] fa: CRUIKSHANK - ROYAL GEORGE IN THE KITCHEN - Satire of the PRINCE REGENT - 1819

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 11:38:53 EDT 2019

Listed now, auction ending MONDAY, Monday, May 5. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/y5h7lppd

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

[Isaac Robert Cruikshank:] Royal George in the Kitchen, or High Life Below Stairs. London: John Johnston, [c. 1819]. Inscription: "Pub. by J. Johnston Cheapside." Hand-colored etching, glazed and framed. Frame size: 18 1/2 x 14 1/2 in.; image size: 13 1/2 x 9 1/2 in. Browning, a few light stains; not examined out of frame.

A satire on the Prince Regent's indecorous love life. "Beside the kitchen table, lit by one candle, the Regent (left) sits on a chair with a fat cook-maid on his knee; she holds a rolling-pin. He flourishes a goblet, spilling wine, and sings: 'You may baste meat at leisure / I'ts my will and pleasure / Distinctions betwixt you and me, / Hence forward shall Cease / In Love and in Peace The P——e and his Cook shall agree.' Yarmouth (right), holding a negress on his knee, sings: 'How sweet and bewitching / Is the Queen of the Kitchen / So here's to your health / my sweet dear.' Behind the table another courtier kisses a woman. A jovial footman (right) brings in a bowl of punch. On the floor are a wine-cooler and bottles" (M. Dorothy George, Catalogue of Political and Personal Satires in the British Museum, IX, 1949). BM Satires 13209.