[Rarebooks] FS: Two 16th c. works, by Muret and Manuzio, bound together, the 1st an Aldine.

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 12:32:33 EDT 2019

(ALDINE PRESS) Muret, Marc-Antoine. ORATIONES. XXIII... Eiusdem Interpretatio... Ethicorum Aristotelis... Eiusdem Hymni Sacri... Venice: Apud Aldum. 1575. 8vo. (16),320;(6),37,(5)pp. 2 parts (of 3, see note below). Woodcut portrait of Aldus Manutius on title.  Woodcut arms on verso of title. Woodcut portrait of Muret before the first page of "Oratio I." BOUND WITH: Manuzio, Paolo. EPISTOLARUM LIBRI XII... Venice: Apud Jo. Griffium. 1584. 2 parts in 1. (16),536;(2),128,(6)pp. Complete. The two works bound in one, in full green morocco, gilt extra, circa 1820, by "Mackenzie." Marbled endpapers. A.e.g. With the armorial bookplate of Thomas Philip, Earl de Grey of Wrest Park. A very attractive copy.    $650.00 (trade discount allowed)
The first work, as stated on the title page, should contain a third section, the "Hymni Sacri," of 57,(7)pp., with its own title and collating separately.  Checking the various records in OCLC, I found 15 library holdings of only the first 2 parts. Obviously a portion of the edition was sold without the final part.
I: Renouard p. 219 #11; Adams M1956.
II: This edition not in Adams or the BL Italian STC.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342