[Rarebooks] FS: 1885 Odd Massachusetts Law Story

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Sun May 26 11:22:38 EDT 2019

"The History of a Title - A Conveyancer's Romance"

By Uriel H. Crocker, Esq. Published in Boston by The Massachusetts Title
Insurance Company in 1885.

An entertaining story of how poorly-researched titles bring bad things-
the story begins when a valuable plot of land in downtown Boston was
conveyed to Thomas Ingalls on his father's death. Many years later two
cousins exploited a loophole in the inheritance law to take the title to
the property away from Mr. Ingalls, but shortly after taking possession
they were sued by a third person on the claim that an 18th century
mistake gave that person title to the land -and he won. That man was in
turn sued by a smart young lawyer who had found an earlier 18th century
mistake which meant the parcel actually belonged to several far-away
relations of a fourth man, and he, working for the relations, gained
possession for them and then bought the parcel from them. Then the Great
Fire of 1872 hit, and the young lawyer proceeded to spend a great sum
rebuilding the buildings on the site. Meanwhile Mr. Ingalls, encouraged
to look as far back as the beginning of land law in the Commonwealth,
found that the land was originally owned by a Mr. Engles (very close to
Ingalls), and had been sold on the condition that structures should
never be built on a portion of it which had just been built upon by the
young lawyer. By another legal quirk that meant that title reverted to
descendants of Mr. Engles, and when Mr. Ingalls proposed to prove that
he was in fact a descendant, the eager young lawyer threw up his hands
and sold the land back to Mr. Ingalls for just enough to recoup his
building investment.

Whew.

Softcover. 4.5"x5". Light soil. $35

A Picture ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39778-cover.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.