[Rarebooks] FS: Sean O'Casey on Irish and Kansas Farmers

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Nov 8 10:07:15 EST 2019

O'CASEY, Sean. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Torquay, Devon, 10
September 1956. A two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) on both sides
of a 7-3/4" x 9-1/2" blue aerogramme to Jo Young at the Kansas State
Teachers College. In part: "I can't say that SHADOW OF A GUNMAN is my
favorite play. You see, my favorite is always the last play written; &
so THE BISHOP'S BONFIRE is my choice today, tho' it will be set aside
for a new favorite when a new play has been written. THE S[HADOW] OF A
GUNMAN was written many years ago. I don't know how I could make it
understandable to the farmers of 'The Sunflower State.' It is just an
effort to show in dramatic form the poorer peoples', the workers,
reaction to the Irish fight for Independence against the British
authority. They suffered a lot -- more than the combatants themselves;
far more, in fact, and, naturally, they didn't like it; for they had to
go on living, & to live, they had to work; & to keep working in the
midst of gunfire wasn't easy." O'Casey goes on to talk about how he
would change the play if he did it over again, musing on the nature of
change, and mentions how he has recently been ill. "Of course I don't
expect the Kansas farmers to understand me, or even to be interested,
for they live their own lives -- very different from mine, &, probably,
more important. Some time ago, THE PLOUGH & THE STARS was done in Kansas
University, in K. City, Missouri. Interested or not in me, O'Casey sends
his warm wishes to the Kansas farmers, & to all Kansas citizens."
Addressed on the reverse by O'Casey, who adds his surname in the return
address field. Creases from mailing, minor edgewear; otherwise close to
Fine. (#019419)        $1,500.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/019419/sean-ocasey/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825