[Rarebooks] FS: 1892 Lenk Wine Co. Toledo Ohio Wine Barrel Shaped Booklet

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Tue Nov 26 12:12:54 EST 2019

1892 Lenk Wine Co. Toledo Ohio Wine Barrel Shaped Booklet.

Toledo, around 1892. An attractive and clever promotional booklet shaped
like one of the wine casks of which the company was so proud. The text
describes the winery and is illustrated with cuts of the factory and
interior and a few photographs of the surrounding countryside.

Lenk Wine Company, “growers and wholesale dealers in native wines”, was
founded in 1867 and incorporated in 1872; they farmed 28 acres of “fine,
rolling land, splendidly adapted to the cultivation of the vine. The
grounds are handsomely laid out and present a beautiful appearance of
shaded avenues and walks with verdant, well-kept lawns, embellished with
shrubbery and flower gardens, and dotted here and there with rustic
arbors and summer houses of unique design”. But wait, that’s not all-
“the main buildings are supplied with basements or cellars, where the
wine is stored in huge casks varying in capacity from 1,000 gallons to
36,000 gallons each, the total capacity being the enormous amount of
850,000 gallons, While upon this subject, it will prove of interest to
state that the company’s cask having a capacity of 36,000 gallons, is
the largest one of the kind in the world in use… This cask measures 21
feet in length, and is twenty feet in diameter. Its top is reached by a
flight of steps, twenty-nine in number, where there is a platform for
visitor”.

The wineries leading wines were Dry Catawba, Sweet Catawba, Iona,
Norton’s Virginia Seedling, Ives’ Seedling, claret, and port. The 28
acres, with all those lawns, arbors and shrubberies came nowhere near to
producing enough grapes to fill the enormous vats, and the company
purchased grapes from the lake Erie islands “and other vineyards”. Lenk
wines won a medal at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair.

Paper covers. 5.75”x4.5”, 12 pages, black & white illustrations. Minor
soil, light wear. [43392]  $150

Some Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43392-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43392-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43392-page2.jpg>

See more in our POTENT POTABLES catalog, which may be viewed or
downloaded as a .pdf file here ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog401.pdf>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.