[Rarebooks] FS: Important Pre-Revolutionary Pamphlet: Britain's response to the Declaration of Independence (1776)

Ezra Tishman thebookfinder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 11:09:15 EDT 2020

Good morning.

Ezra from Aardvark offers this important British muscle-flexing against the upstart American provinces:

Macpherson, James and/or/? John Dalrymple (Sir).

THE RIGHTS OF GREAT BRITAIN ASSERTED AGAINST THE CLAIMS OF AMERICA Being an Answer to the Declaration of the General Congress. Dublin, Ireland: Printed for T. Caddell, in the Strand, 1776. Third Edition, with Additions (Adams 75-95e). Un (not dis-)bound, blue-grey card covers, sewn binding, 7 7/8" x 5". "This is a reply to "A Declaration by the Representatives of the . United Colonies of North-America...Setting forth the Causes and Necessity of Their Taking up Arms"" which is reprinted on pp. 89-96. 3 p.l., [1]-96 p. fold.table. 8vo. An old description affixed to front cover, and another (with incorrect place of publication) to the inside.   Half-title present. This third edition with the single advertising leaf ("describing the authorities upon which the pamphlet was based") inserted following the title page”. (Adams, 75-95e). Sabin 18347.

Appended foldout (14 1/2" x 13") chart at rear: "An Account of what Sums have been Granted to the different Provinces in North-America, as far as appears from the Estimates for the Support of the Civil Government of each Province, distinguishing each year. And also of what Sums have been Granted for the Support of the Provincial Forces in North America". One very small 1" tear to chart.

At least twenty-two editions of this important pamphlet are known. It's authorship has also been attributed to Sir John Dalrymple, Lord George Germaine, and Henry Mackenzie. (Adams favors Macpherson; Sabin prefers Dalrymple.) Very Good. Softcover.

"This celebrated pamphlet is said to have been written, printed, and liberally distributed both in Great Britain and America, at the instance and expense of the British government. It answered no other purpose than to exasperate the people of Great Britain against their brethren in America; and, by inflaming misrepresentations and invectives, aggravate the evils of our present civil discord" (Monthly Review, 1776). Some have also written: "An elaborate justification of the British attitude, ending with a threat of dire punishment if Great Britain's indignation should really rise. The Declaration of Independence is appended:

"When Independent States take up arms, they endeavour to impress the World with a favourable opinion of their own cause, and to lay the blame of hostilities on the injustice of their Opponents..." (p. 1).

"...Our cause is just, our union is perfect, our internal resources are great, and if necessary, foreign assistance is undoubtedly attainable..." (p. 95)

"...In our own native land, in defence . of the freedom that is our birthright, and which w ever enjoyed till the late violation of it; for the protection of our property, acquired solely by the honest industry of our forefathers and ourselves, against violence actually offered, we have taken up arms. We shall lay them down when hostilities shall cease on the part of the aggressors, and all danger of their being renewed shall be removed, -- and not before..." (By order of Congress, JOHN HANCOCK, President/ Attested, Charles Thompson, Secretary. Philadelphia, July 6, 1775. (p. 96).	 $550.00

https://www.ezrabook.com/pages/books/76781/james-and-or-john-dalrymple-macpherson-sir/the-rights-of-great-britain-asserted-against-the-claims-of-america-being-an-answer-to-the

Thanks for taking a look.

Ezra The Bookfinder
Aardvark Books, ABAA
& Ezra Tishman Book Appraisals, LLC
3650 Chambers Street
Eugene, OR  97405-1917
(541) 683-3131 Office     (541) 520-9821 Cell/BEST
thebookfinder at gmail.com   http://ezrabook.com
bookappraisals at gmail.com

Fine Books, Manuscripts and Archives Sold, Consigned & Appraised, since 1995.
Member ABAA, ILAB, IOBA
Qualified Appraiser, Books and Manuscripts,  American Society of Appraisers (ASA)