[Rarebooks] FS: Civil War soldier's diary: Zoave d'Afrique (114th Pennsylvania Voluntary Infantry Regiment): Battles at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Spotsylvania, etc.

Ezra Tishman thebookfinder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:13:00 EDT 2020

Ezra from Aardvark today offers this truly fabulous (from the latin fabula, fabulae, meaning story) pocket diary of a Civil War Soldier

CIVIL WAR DIARY OF PRIVATE THOMAS P. WILKINSON (Approximately August 1862, for two years hence) Active fighting in the U.S. Civil War.

Small, black, folding leather diary (4 7/8” x 3”) with a flap and receiving loop. 200 pages in pencil. One or two groups of pages rubbed making difficult-readability. Approximately 21 lines per page, comprising  4 or 5 manuscript words per line). At end are several pages of records (people who owe him money or to whom he owes money, record of monies received for his military service, clothing drawn for/received, and several addresses (eg. Kaileb Miller, Berlin, Worcester Co., MD.)

Private Wilkinson carried this little diary plus a slightly smaller (64mo) New Testament with him

Throughout at least seven heated battles of the Civil War:

1)    Battle of Balls Bluff

2)    Battle of Chancellorsville

3)    Battle of Gettysburg

4)    Battle of Buckland Races

5)    Battle of Mine Run

6)    Battle of Spotsylvania Courthous

7)    Battle of The Crater

Besides being day-to-day account of front-lines action at several key battles of the Civil

War, Private Wilkinson’s entries are laced through with numerous records of his correspondence (“Wrote my wife tonight. Received a letter via ….).  Despite

His being repeatedly in the thick of heavy fighting, he managed, it seems, to write his wife several times each week (and less frequently, several other relatives). He was a willing soldier,

never complaining, taking solace in his duty, and in his faith.

On the first page Private Wilkinson wrote:

“Pocket diary of T.P. Wilkinson who volunteered himself to his country’s service, August 6th, ’62.”

114th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment, a soldier in Colonel Charles T. Collis’s Zouaves d’ Afrique, Company F.

The Zoaves (or Collis Zoaves, as they were known, wore a “colorful Americanized version of the Zoave uniform (a red fez with gold tassel, collarless red-trimmed jacket with blue cuffs, blue sash, red trousers, white leggings), worn in emulation of certain French light-infantry units that became world-famous during France’s colonization of North Africa…” (Wik.)

PICTURES:	         https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yx6awmjai70mq0r/AACwjc1h5WOcKsJFoakw69zca?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yx6awmjai70mq0r/AACwjc1h5WOcKsJFoakw69zca?dl=0>

Scattered Excerpts

Settled up business and went into camp on the 16th infantry? under Colonel Collis, 114th. P.V, . Captain Eliott Company F,  Zoaves, D’Afrique, encamped at [?] town known as camp N.P. Banks.

Got marching orders and left camp hurriedly at four o’clock September 1st. Arrived at Baltimore at 5:30 o’clock the same day. Parading through the principle street, arrived at the depot for Washington at 6:30 wet through by the shower.  There being two regiments in before us, one from New York, the other from the ? exchange Colonel Prevost from Philadelphia had supper at the Union refreshment saloon. Returned to the depot and lay down for three hours. Got night quarters in a store. Left for Washington. Left at 2 a.m.  a very long train parts of three regiments about 2300 men all told. Arrived after a tedious ride about 10:30 o’clock night.

 Lost on the way the tallest man in our company, 6 foot 2 ½ inches high, who carelessly persisted in hanging his legs from the cars, and throwing them outward, which came in contact with a platform post at Newark station, dashing his head against the platform, and his legs under the wheels. The surgeon took off both legs, but he died in four hours from the accident. His name was Mordecai Ryan from Bucks County.

 We slept out in the open air after partaking of dry bread and coffee. 15,000 men having received refreshments the same day, visited the capitol.

 The general in charge of us sent us to Fort Slocum to encamp, which was named Camp Cossmann. We reached our position at 5 and had tents pitched and supper by 8 o’clock. Left 3 a.m. on the 4. Startling news and pickets sent out for five miles. The men remaining received orders to sleep on our arms with all our clothes. We received 30 rounds of cartridge. Morn came but no attack.

 September 5tH.  Heavy firing directly in our front. Our men falling back to Washington. The strictest discipline carried out by our officers. Be good. We cheerfully obeyed.

On guard duty guns loaded 6:10 o’clock. Heavy firing at intervals across the Potomac.

1 o’clock got marching orders. Struck tents at 3 o’clock but no rations until midnight. Got started from camp at 8 o’clock. Left 4th burnsides with not being able to get up on time. We were ordered to Rockville to oppose Jackson crossing.

Into Maryland we traveled 12 miles through a hot sun when we were overtaken by a mounted orderly with dispatches from headquarters to return immediately and go to Arlington Heights. We returned very much fatigued but was fully repaid in seeing an army at least 100,000 men and baggage trains and artillery at least 15 miles long.

Got in camp about 8 o’clock ?after 24 miles.

Monday the orders came to report at Arlington Heights also 18 6-horse teams Colonel won’t move until the men get their Bounty wagons wait till dark and return to Washington.

 9th Colonel gone for to see for bounty. Wrote my first letter to my wife but received none from home. Got one paper, wrote to Isaac. Second letter to mother Wilkinson. One might receive no letters but don’t feel well about it.

Young man killed by his friend accidentally, shot through the left-eye. Ball lodged in the head, died the 8th and buried on September 10th.

 Received my first letter on the eve of the 10th of September from my wife.

 13th. Fights at Frederick had we not been sent back on Sunday we should have been in also on the 14th at Harper’s Ferry union victory.

 On the 16th commenced the falling of all the trees for 1100 yards all around the fort. About a 100 of our deserters caught and taken to our fort. Received two letters, one from my wife, one from Edward Foster, & two papers.

 17thGot marching orders. Wrote to F. Wilkinson.

 18th Went on guard. Tents struck. Guards called to bring up rear guard. Crossed the long bridge at 3 o’clock. Bands playing “I wish I was in Dixy.” Arrived in camp at Arlington Heights at 6 o’clock. Under General Robinson

 19th. Wrote to my wife and received one from her.

 20th  An advance guard was ordered out of 50 men with five days’ rations. Knapsack complete.

 ? Struck tents and marched about 1 mile near Fairfax Seminary.

 21st Got new tents each man his piece 3 forming together make about ? no front the 141st next to us the scot leg

 Sunday the 22nd received by Brigadier General Birney and staff.

 23rd Went on picket above Munson Hill. 1 ½ miles. Very hot day.

 24th Went on guard, company inspection.

 Saturday October 4th. Went on picket, 8 miles from camp, three miles beyond Munson Hill. Had fine times. Wrote to wife and Morris and folks. Also to my wife. Returned on Sunday.

 5th Wednesday I wrote to my wife. Received one on the 4th from her.

 I got marching orders and was inspected, rifles and shoes renewed all that would not last 30 days.

 Hard work the 10th.

Got new patent cartridges. Advised by Captain? Eliott to send all our clothes home that we could not wear. Fourteen boxes went together.

 10th Sent to work on breast works. The third time captain told us not to work hard, as he expected to march tonight.

 Received a letter from Maggie I.A. Wilkinson and one from Edward.

 Wrote to ? Wilkinson as we returned from entrenchment received orders to prepare to march. Struck tents at 9 o’clock at night and postponed until 4 o’clock. We put up our tent, rained very heavy through the night, and continued showers during the day. Left camp at 5:30 o’clock.

 11th Passed over the aqueduct bridge and into Georgetown resting only or stopping to arrange platoons the Knapsacks being heavy first-began to (fly?illegible) here arrived in Rockville about 4 o’clock stopping only 3 times and neither time over 20 minutes. Fell asleep almost instantly on my knapsack the rain falling on my face quite freely sleep was very sweet-to me, just as my coffee was coming to a boil had to drop all and go to guard Mounting got placed on patrol in Rockville got 2 hours sleep + was called at 2 o’clock + marched at 4 o’clock on the 12th.

12th Made Poolsville by 2 o’clock in the afternoon stopping only 3 times a distance from camp of 43 miles got a little coffee + meat after pitching tents about 1 ½ miles beyond Poolsville, starting rumors of skirmishing at Conrad Ferry The Colonel asked for volunteers to go defend the ferry if necessary 68 men out of our company stepped in line, the Capt’n told me in consequence of being on guard I ought not go.

400 of our men was started just at dark + went on quick time + the enemy being there and all quiet. Returned at 2 O’clock wet through as it rained hard. It was a bad night – for us everything being so wet-

 13th Monday 13th rested + put up tents in better order

 14th 2 o’clock in the morning was called up in great hurry to make a reconoiscence in force we having about 4000 some artillery 2 fine batterys and some Cavalry we went to Conrad’s Ferry laid about 2 hours passed under the canal through the culvert

 And led by the old and well tried 40th Mozart NY (illeg.), passed up the Potomac along the low path to White Ferry where Lieutenant Garside was captured about one month before with so 22 others. This was where the Rebels cut the bank + let the water out so that the boats could not bring up provisions for our army. we left part of our men + passed up as far as the mouth of the Monoccassy (Monocacy) about 2 miles from the Sugarloaf Mountain.. The scenery is beautiful – wild ducks +

other game in abundance. Our troops being there in force we were ordered back as far as White’s Ferry. Here we got into a deserters camp and got some pork + crackers which was strewn over the ground, + got our first meal for that day, leaving camp in too big a hurry to get any – wrote a letter to my wife and also to Edw’d Foster + sent them through the Mozart mail. Returned back from there to Conrad’s Ferry and then to camp, arriving about 8 o’clock + slept well.

15th Rested & wrote to my wife

16th Do (ditto?) - - - I. Wilkinson

17th Moved our tents & arranged the camp. Wrote to Elizab”th Morris. Rec no mail yet.

18th Evening Saturday got our mail one letter from my wife and one Mother (illeg. word)

19th Sunday morning heard the Church Bell – my heart yearned for the Lord’s house; had not heard preaching for 2 months. About 9 o’clock Sargent Given asked me if I would like to go to church. I was indeed glad when he said let us go to the House  of the Lord. I felt like

paying my vows to him. We heard a very good sermon at St. Peter’s Church Poolsville, MD., from the (illeg. Word) Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might, * on during the sermon, my heart burned within me. I felt that was indeed good to wait upon the Lord. Wrote to my Wife in the afternoon.

20th Went on Pickets – the whole reg’t our company picketed the Potomac between Conrad’s Ferry and Ball’s Bluff.

Our squad had the most prominent point – which was on an Island just at the ford. 3 of us tried to cross but found it too swift to keep our feet as the water was a little high. The night was Fear (?) and cold.

21 Clear and windy plenty of wild chicken partridges & other game but (illeg. durst (?) we shoot we got fresh beef it was very good and having any kind for 3 days. Wrote to my mother

22nd wrote to Brother John to come to camp in order to get (next group of words rubbed/illegible)

24th Harding’s Farmhouse

Wrote to Maggie Wilkinson

26th Wrote to Hannah and Emma got marching orders in the afternoon. Received by Burnsides staff command. Raining about  ½ past 8 in the morning and continued till Monday 12 o’clock. Tremendous wet soaked through and cold in the extreme. Rcd letters from Isaac, but got marching orders immediately.

28th & started at eight o’clock. Passed the 99th and several others also Ebenezer Birtwell in the 1st (illeg.) Artillery. Colonel West (illeg.)

 with guns which covered (illeg.) crossing

5th and 6th (The next two pages rubbed and partially illegible, pertain to the Battle of Ball’s Bluff.)

“Towards us as the Battle became fiercer and nearer, our Boys went forward in high spirits – the firing ceased at dark. We were relieved from post and came into the head quarters; our cavalry brought in two prisoners, the fight still continues. Buried one of our boys and stayed with the bodies ([Battle of/abbreviated] Balls Bluff. Went on guard. Getting cold. One of the 4th Main boys died this morning. Went last night to a house about 2 ½ miles in search of contraband… J. Kaslam on guard also – [at] the Methodist Church about 30 Rebel prisoners, who are heartily sick of the war. I went to the cemetery; there are a great many Mississippi & Georgians killed at Balls Bluff. Buried them Friday morning, Nov. 15th.  The rebels advanced on our post – took 6  -- the other being on post, escaped…and gave up the alarm…

We crossed Goose Creek in an old flat boat. The wind was blowing up very cold. The mud halfway to knee deep and still raining, we sat down about an hour…being too cold and raining, passed on about 2 miles further, it being so dark that we could scarcely see our hands before us. We got separated and partly lost. The cavalry stopped and told us to proceed, but we never was so wearied in any march before and laid down without taking our blankets and slept, the rain pelting us in the face for about one hour when the captain came and heard some talking and ordered them fall in as they would be captured; we did not hear them. J. Haslam, L. ___ and myself but slept until the rumbling of the heavy baggage wagons came along. We supposed we were alone, and made up to go until we could get shelter from the storm in some barn gong on about one mile which appeared as much as 4, with the rough roads, mud, rain and darkness. We saw a large farmhouse – white – I told them I would go no farther; I struck for the house and stepped off a high bank, and found myself lying on my back in the mud. My gun saving my fall so as not to hurt me much…we went into the yard and up to the porch….

(they stopped at another house and asked for food and were told all they had only milk and bread. “We took it & offered to hay for it, but they did not take anything…”

Started at 7:00 for Alexandria and reached there about dinner time. Slept in the camp of paroled prisoners…Started again, walking on the railroad all the way to camp, arriving at 12 o’clock, found the boys in huts, and very selfish, every dog for himself. Slept with Given, Collins and Craven.

Christmas Eve, couldn’t have fires, consequently no coffee. Slept under a rock.

 25th(December). A Beautiful day.

 (1863)

18th [Jan]  Tuesday

at 2 o’clock there was one of our brigade out of the 63rd P.S. drummed out of camp, head shaved and branded on the right hip.

I had a splendid day and enjoyed the favor of God.

 We got paid up to Nov. 1st. Mine was $37.20

(NOTE: Throughout all of this narrative, Mr. Wilkerson is reporting his writing to and receiving letters from his wife – sometimes every several days --  and less frequently, his mother.

We marched 5 miles more. We cooked dinner. The cannonading being very heavy  we were ordered off again in quick-time. Still 3 miles farther. The sun was very hot. The cannonading became heavier as we passed the battle field. The smoke was very dence. The men were climbing the trees to see the fight…the Rebels are very scarce and don’t show themselves. Now commences the musketry, volley after volley in rapid succession. The bugle sounds. We are ordered to move to the front. We did, taking the higher(?) of the first line of battle… We numbered over 40,000 in our field. The Ball opened about five o’clock.  Our batterys got range immediately, our shells bursting

 Saturday went a fishing but had to return to be paid off. Rec’d $52.00.

 This morning thousands surrounded us on all sides; the infantry fire slackens but the artillery is heavy. . We marched in 3 collums, in all about  20,000 men for fifteen miles which took us till 12 o’clock midnight.

 Just at this time our General Graham with his staff and battle flag came up to our line. This brought their fire on us and over came a shell which struck G. Young of our company who was lying down on his knapsack with his right knee up taking one half his knee off; it then struck the ground between us and the 2nd line of battle, plowing up the ground, and burst, killing the horse under the Colonel of the  141st P.V., a small piece striking him in the face. The ball struck the horse just behind his right stirrup and came out of the horse’s back…a few minutes later another came, singing terribly. I saw this ball which was a solid shot at least 150 yards off. It passed just over our heads which hugged the ground close and struck the knapsack of the front rank man…,  and took off half of the head of the rear rank man, making his brains fly in all directions. … This continued till after dark but our fire was so hot-- they must have been driven out of their position as they did not answer for the last ½ hour and our shells had set the woods on fire till it became a sheet of flame for ½ a mile….

…they advance and are driven back. Our men capture a Georgia Sgt. and Major. Then comes 60 more and still more. It comes near night. We drive them full run about 2 milee, they flee panic stricken into a thick woods and throw down their guns outside, by scores. We have them surrounded. The artillery and cavalry are coming in large  force to await the early morning and make their capture more sure. We…are exulting over our prey when alas, the 11th corps are surprised by General Jackson with 30,000 men who break through our head quarters…

 Sunday morning, General Jackson opens the fight. The 12th Corps repel the attack until  the 3rd Corps get into position. The enemy are mown down like grass, but on they press…

 Two of our Boys fell by my side as we went in not 50 yards from the fence,  they piled into us most furiously but we got a good position out of range, and our artillery opened up in good earnest. This slackened their fire a little and then we were ordered to charge the woods.

The Rebels attempt to blow up our fort – but their calculations being wrong. They fall short. They charge but are driven back faster than they came.

2 years in the service to day…We commence our 3rd year with 2 Commissioned Officers, 3 Sergeants, 4 Corporals, 2 Gunners, 26 Privates, 35 Enlisted men present for duty.

 A man shot while we stood there.

(At some point, in the diary, between the Battle of the Crater and the Spotsylvania Courthouse,

Private Wilkinson writes: “Went to a Negro execution; the Rebels fire on us”. )

NOTE: Some of the same events/locations described in Private Wilkinson’s diary can also be found

Online in Memoirs of Alexander Wallace Givin, 114th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Ezra The Bookfinder
Aardvark Books, ABAA
& Ezra Tishman Book Appraisals, LLC
3650 Chambers Street
Eugene, OR  97405-1917
(541) 683-3131 Office     (541) 520-9821 Cell/BEST
thebookfinder at gmail.com   http://ezrabook.com
bookappraisals at gmail.com

Fine Books, Manuscripts and Archives Sold, Consigned & Appraised, since 1995.
Member ABAA, ILAB, IOBA
Qualified Appraiser, Books and Manuscripts,  American Society of Appraisers (ASA)