[Rarebooks] FS: Randall Jarrell MANUSCRIPT of his most famous poem, price reduced

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Apr 22 15:55:24 EDT 2020

Price reduced to $6000 NET

JARRELL, Randall. LITTLE FRIEND, LITTLE FRIEND with his most famous poem
in his hand. New York: Dial Press, 1945. First Edition. His second book
published in an edition of 2000 copies. INSCRIBED on the front free
endpaper for Dorothea Garritson and SIGNED by the poet below Jarrell's
handwritten poem, the last poem of the book and perhaps his best known,
"The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner," with its famous last line: "When
I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose." Slight uneven
sunning to the boards from the missing sections of the dustwrapper. Near
Fine in a Fair dustwrapper lacking most of the spine and with a few
small tears and chips.

In his review of this book Robert Lowell said it "contains some of the
best poems on modern war, better, I think, and far more professional
than those of Wilfred Owen, which, though they seem pathetically eternal
to us now, are sometimes amateurish and unfinished. The determined,
passive, sacrificial lives of the pilots, inwardly so harmless and
outwardly so destructive, are ideal subjects for Jarrell" ("With Wild
Dogmatism," NEW YORK TIMES, 7 October 1951). (#017485)        $8,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/017485/randall-jarrell/little-friend-little-friend-with-his-most-famous-poem-in-his-hand

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825