[Rarebooks] FS: Philadelphia Silversmiths Indian Ornaments -1936 Limited Edition

Forrest Proper office at joslinhall.com
Tue Feb 18 07:51:21 EST 2020

“Indian Ornaments made by Philadelphia Silversmiths”

By Harrold E. Gillingham. Published in New York by the Museum of the
American Indian, Heye Foundation, in 1936. Edition limited to 100
copies.

A continuation of Gillingham's study of silver ornaments produced by
Philadelphia silversmiths and sold to Indian traders. Gillingham first
published on this topic in 1926 and 1934, and this study is based on
records and manuscript material which came to his attention after his
1934 periodical publication. This includes copies of many itemized
invoices and bills from a number of early silversmiths. The American
Numismatic Society, which holds Gillingham's papers, notes- "Harrold
Edgar Gillingham (1864-1954) of Germantown, Pennsylvania, was a
transportation executive, collector of American antiques, and a
numismatist scholar noted for publishing a series of monographs on
medals of merit and decorations of honor. He was born in Hainsport, New
Jersey, and attended Lauderbach Academy and Germantown Academy. He
became an associate member of the American Numismatic Society in 1916, a
life fellow and council member in 1918, and treasurer from 1924 to 1938.
In 1931 he was awarded a Huntington Medal in recognition of his
outstanding contributions to numismatic scholarship. Gillingham also
served as vice president of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and
president of the Pennsylvania Federation of Historical Societies,
writing articles on topics such as Philadelphia silversmiths, ship
building, and early fire defenses of Philadelphia and New York City".

Hardcover. 6.5"x10", 26 pages plus 4 black & white illustrations on 2
plates. Small spot and a smudge on the cover, Gillingham's name written
on the spine, but otherwise clean and nice, with a tight binding.  $250

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38610-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38610-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38610-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38610-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38610-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38610-page4.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.