[Rarebooks] FS: Julia Ward Howe: "I no longer believe in [suffrage] as an abstract right to be dreamed of by Washington

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Jan 8 09:48:35 EST 2020

[HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA WARD
HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1915.
First Edition. Two volumes in original cloth-backed boards and the
scarce dustwrappers and original slipcase. Copy #438 of 450 copies of
the Large-Paper Edition with a leaf of Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH
MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher, this example with 18 lines and
concerning Suffrage. In part: "I began with saying that I believe in
suffrage. I believed in it, with incorrigible[?] doubts, when I first
began to work for it, perhaps fourteen years ago. I believe in it now
without doubt or misgiving. And I no longer believe in it as an abstract
right to be dreamed of by Washington but more to be embodied in [?]
legislation. I believe in the great awakening...." Illustrated with
plates and portraits, including a facsimile manuscript of "The Battle
Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the 1917 Pulitzer Prize for Biography.
Manuscript pages by Howe concerning women's rights are quite desirable
and to find one in a set in this condition is a rarity indeed. Fine in
Very Good printed white dustwrappers with edgewear and a chip at the top
of the spine of the second volume in a complete Good slipcase with an
old tape repair on the bottom and torn at the top. (#019648)        $750

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/019648/julia-ward-howe-laura-richards-maud-howe-elliott/julia-ward-howe-1819-1910

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825