[Rarebooks] FS: 13 King Neptune Equator Ceremonies on Battleship RPPCs

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jan 17 16:58:47 EST 2020

Thirteen King Neptune Equator Crossing Ceremonies on an American
Battleship Real Photo Postcards.

An interesting set of real photo postcards ca.1913, showing scenes
aboard what appears to be a dreadnought class battleship. Eight
postcards show the traditional Equator crossing ceremonies, with King
Neptune and his court, a swimming pool for dunking inductees set up on
deck, and so on. Five cards (with somewhat better contrast) show
ocean-going scenes featuring heavy seas; several have captions in the
negative, and one may show the ship itself as seen from another vessel.

The ship involved is unknown, but one card of heavy seas is dated
December 8, 1913, and another card shows speed trials, and one assumes
the two cards are not all that far apart in time. The two dreadnought
battleships of the Wyoming class, ‘Wyoming’ and ‘Arkansas’, were
commissioned in late 1912, and seem to be good candidates, with‘Wyoming’
in the lead- On September 16, 1913, Wyoming “returned to New York for
repairs, which lasted until 2 October. She then ran full–power sea
trials before proceeding to the Virginia Capes … Next, she departed for
a European goodwill cruise on 26 October. She departed France on 30
November, and arrived in New York on 15 December” [Wikipedia].

13 Postcards. Some soil, minor wear. Unposted. $250

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47000-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47000-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47000-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47000-cover4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47000-cover5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47000-cover6.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.