[Rarebooks] FS: Superb W. H. Auden Letter to Lewis Mumford

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Jul 8 09:38:37 EDT 2020

AUDEN, W. H. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) to Lewis Mumford Auden Writes a
Fan Letter to Lewis Mumford. Birmingham, 14 September 1938. Superb 1-1/2
page TYPED LETTER SIGNED on both sides of an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper
to American historian, philosopher, and literary critic Lewis Mumford.
In part: "I nearly wrote you a fan letter once before, when I read
CIVILIZATION AND TECHNICS, and now, having just finished THE CULTURE OF
CITIES, I feel I must say that, to me, they are two of the most
interesting books of our time. The only criticism I can make is that in
places, and I am sure that this was not your intention, you give the
impression if being a tiny bit puritanical about such things as domestic
decoration, and the wish to express one's personality." Auden talks
about the depressing experience of having lived in a sterilized "modern"
flat and the importance of people "bolstering themselves up with
ornaments and decoration." Annotated in pencil by Mumford "Ans 8 Oct
38." Crease from folding, otherwise about Fine. (#019981)        $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/019981/w-h-auden/typed-letter-signed-tls-to-lewis-mumford-auden-writes-a-fan-letter-to-lewis-mumford

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825