[Rarebooks] FS: Three 1940-41 Anti- & Pro- American Support for Britain Handouts

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Mon Mar 2 08:36:13 EST 2020

Three 1940-41 Anti- & Pro- American Support for the Embattled Brits
Handouts

1] America First Committee 1940-41 ‘Defend America First’ Isolationist
Brochure. -The America First Committee “was the foremost United States
non-interventionist pressure group against the American entry into World
War II. Started on September 4, 1940, it put out mixed messaging with
antisemitic and pro-fascist rhetoric from leading members, and it was
dissolved on December 10, 1941, three days after the attack on Pearl
Harbor had brought the war to the United States. Membership peaked at
800,000 paying members in 450 chapters. It was one of the largest
anti-war organizations in the history of the United States” [Wikipedia].
Prominent members included Charles Lindberg, Gerald Ford, Sargent
Shriver, Potter Stewart, Lillian Gish, and Frank Lloyd Wright.  Folder.
8.5”x11”. Some soil and wear, wrinkled.

2] 1941 Anti-Lend-Lease ‘Concerning H.R. 1776’ Yale University Student
Handbill. -Although no organization or sponsor is mentioned, The America
First Committee had strong Yale roots, having been founded by Yale Law
School student R. Douglas Stuart, Jr.; other Yale student members
included Gerald Ford, Sargent Shriver, and Potter Stewart. At the bottom
readers are urged to “Please put this sheet in the box you will find in
Yale Station”.  Single sheet. 8.5”x11”. Fold, minor soil, wrinkled.

3] New Haven Committee to Defend America 1940-41 Yale Student Handbill.
-The America First Committee had strong Yale roots, having been founded
by Yale Law School student, and the New Haven Committee to Defend
America, a strongly pro-British aid group, was probably a response to
that.  Single sheet. 8.5”x13”. Folds, some wear and soil, one crease
damaged.

All three for $100

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49532-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49533-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49533-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49533-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49534-cover.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.