[Rarebooks] FS: 1862 NY Cemetery Prospectus for Lots of Lots for Resale

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Fri May 29 10:40:07 EDT 2020

1862 Rockland NY Cemetery Prospectus for Lots of Grave Lots for Investor
Resale.

A very interesting prospectus for lots in this rural New York cemetery-
the proprietors were not selling individual lots, but were offering very
large groups of them, “lots of lots”, as it were, which would then be
resold by investors and entrepreneurs individually at a profit, with the
base price set by the proprietors to avoid anyone selling “discounted”
grave sites. It doesn’t appear to have worked.

The cemetery website explains- “Nestled on the western slope of the
bucolic Hudson Palisades, the Cemetery was organized by Eleazar Lord in
1847. He was an author, educator, and first president of the Erie
Railroad. Dr. Lord envisioned a cemetery that would become prominent as
the final resting place for not only the deceased of the New York City
area, but would be a magnet for notables on a national scale. With the
foregoing as his plan, Dr. Lord brought his railroad and passengers with
it to the little town of Piermont. Almost overnight, the town became a
flourishing rail and water hub between New York City and points north
and west. The original hamlet of Tappan Landing was renamed Piermont by
Dr. Lord. History intervened and the Erie Railroad received a belated
charter from the State of New Jersey requiring it to run its trains
directly from Suffern, NY to Jersey City, NJ. Piermont, and Rockland
Cemetery with it, was left in the backwater of progress. In 1880, a
group of Piermont residents raised $50,000.00 toward the development of
roads, bridges and other necessary improvements to facilitate access to
the Cemetery. There was significant interest to make Rockland Cemetery a
national cemetery. General John C. Fremont was interred there in 1890
with high hope that he might be the first of many prominent Americans to
be buried there [but] Arlington Cemetery, located across from
Washington, D.C., gained the stature as a national cemetery while
Rockland Cemetery was relegated to almost obscurity”.

Folded sheet. 8.5”x11, minor soil, and an odd little curving crease
along the fold. [49901]  $125

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49901-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-49901-cover2.jpg>

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent to
your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

  - - - -

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.