[Rarebooks] FS: Lincoln Steffens AUTOBIOGRAPHY with Superb Full-Page INSCRIPTION to Noted "Psychic"

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Mon Nov 30 16:11:41 EST 2020

STEFFENS, Lincoln. THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF LINCOLN STEFFENS. New York:
Harcourt, Brace and Company, (1931). First Edition. Fifth Printing.
Complete in one volume, illustrated. Superbly INSCRIBED and SIGNED by
Steffens, filling the front pastedown, to wealthy Boston surgeon and
socialite, Dr. Le Roi Goddard Crandon, and his wife, Mina "Margery"
Crandon, perhaps the most famous psychic medium of her time who claimed
that she channeled her dead brother, Walter Stinson. In addition, a
typescript of a letter from Steffens is pasted on the front endpaper
opposite the inscription which transcribes Steffens's somewhat difficult
handwriting. The inscription reads in full: "To L. R. G. and Margery
Crandon, & to/Walter, my old friends:/You, Crandon, you know all of
this, you are/of some of it, as I am a part of your unwritten/Life, & of
Margery's, & Walter's. That I may/say, may I not? And surely I may sat
that/we, all four of us old friends -- we have looked/& looked again, at
life, & at death, too, trying/to see clear through to the quiet
smile/that is back of & before it. At any rate, you/three will
understand perfectly why it is that/mine is a smiling tale./Yours
affectionately/Lincoln Steffens/Carmel, California/March, 1932." Very
Good in a soiled, edgeworn, near Good dustwrapper, the front flap
detached but present.

Margery Crandon became well known as her alleged paranormal skills were
touted by Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and were
disproved by legendary magician Harry Houdini. Crandon was investigated
by members of the American Society for Psychical Research and employees
of the Scientific American who concluded that she had no genuine
paranormal ability and likely was involved in outright deception.
(#020258)        $1,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020258/lincoln-steffens/the-autobiography-of-lincoln-steffens

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825