[Rarebooks] FS: The Only Woman to Receive the Medal of Honor & Advocate of Dress Reform for Women, 1871

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Mon Apr 5 10:06:25 EDT 2021

WALKER, Dr. Mary E. HIT. New York: The American News Company, (1871).
First Edition. Publisher's red cloth stamped in black on the covers with
gilt lettering and decorations on the spine. Illustrated with a
frontispiece portrait of the author wearing pants, tissue guard present.
A scarce book by this abolitionist, prohibitionist, prisoner of war, and
surgeon, the only woman to ever receive the Medal of Honor. After
earning a medical degree from New York's Syracuse Medical College in
1855, Walker volunteered with the Union Army at the outbreak of the
Civil War. She was captured by Confederate forces after crossing enemy
lines to treat wounded civilians and arrested as a spy, ultimately being
released in an exchange of prisoners. After the war, she received the
Congressional Medal of Honor for her efforts to treat the wounded, the
only military decoration given to anyone for service during the Civil
War. Walker is the only woman to receive the medal and one of only eight
civilians to receive it. After the war, she wrote and lectured
supporting the women's suffrage movement until her death in 1919. One of
Walker's strongest efforts was in dress reform for women believing that
long skirts and petticoats contributed to ill health, unnecessary
expense, and even divorce. She was frequently arrested for wearing men's
clothing, insisting "I don't wear men's clothes, I wear my own clothes."
One of the eight chapters in this book is on Dress Reform. Others are
Love and Marriage, Tobacco, Temperance, Women's Franchise, Divorce,
Labor, and Religion. Slight losses of cloth on the edges with greater
loss along the spine edges, likely due to worming; covers tight and
firm. Very Good. (#020439)        $3,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020439/dr-mary-e-walker/hit

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825