[Rarebooks] FS: SIGNED Letter by the Author of FRANKENSTEIN

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Aug 31 11:13:12 EDT 2021

SHELLEY, Mary Wollstonecraft. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) by the
Author of FRANKENSTEIN. Rome, 6 April [1843]. A three-page AUTOGRAPH
LETTER SIGNED "Mary Shelley" written in Italian on one sheet of an 8" x
5" piece of paper folded to 4" x 5," dated 6 April [1843]. A rough
translation:
"Esteemed Sir. Thank you so much for your card -- and your kindness. I
feel ashamed thinking about all the inconvenience that you are
experiencing due to that annoying matter [strikethrough] of Tozzetti,
but I am pleased that he is not obtaining all he was looking for. He
deserved nothing. Thank you for the letter -- maybe others will come for
us either sent to your address or simply to Florence. Would you
graciously send someone to the post office to ask for our letters and
send them here. My debt I would come and pay. I hope it is not too big
to be a burden on my conscience, and I will find a way to repay it.
[strikethrough] I hope that the weather has improved and that Nerina
feels better. I would really love to see you and Nerina again. And who
knows if I won't see both in England, but first it is easy that we will
meet in Florence. Goodbye dear sir. Please consider me your servant and
friend. M Shelley."

The recipient, Tuscan nobleman Bartolomeo Cini, was married to Nerina
King, daughter of Irish writer Margaret King who was a favored pupil of
Mary's mother, Mary Wollstonecraft. Mary Shelley was in correspondence
with him in regard to getting his assistance to retrieve letters by her
husband, Percy, that were sent to King. Shelley's 1840s travels through
Europe with her son Percy and his friends formed the basis of her
travelogue, RAMBLES IN GERMANY AND ITALY, IN 1840, 1842, AND 1843. Mild
crease from mailing. Near Fine. (#020641)        $8,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020641/mary-wollstonecraft-shelley/autograph-letter-signed-als-by-the-author-of-frankenstein

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825