[Rarebooks] FS: Wat is Over! Boston 1872 International Music Festival

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Fri Dec 10 10:51:56 EST 2021

1872 International Musical Festival Boston City Council Engraved Invitation.

“The City Council of Boston respectfully solicit the honour of your
presence, at the International Musical Festival in Boston, beginning
on the Seventeenth day of June next, and they cordially invite you to
accept the hospitalities of the City on that occasion - 15’ April,
1872”.

“The World's Peace Jubilee and International Musical Festival of 1872
took place in the Back Bay area of Boston, Massachusetts. Patrick
Sarsfield Gilmore directed the festival, which lasted some 18 days.
The jubilee honored the ending of the Franco-Prussian War. For this
well-publicized, high-profile, widely anticipated event, architect
William G. Preston designed the ‘colosseum, with a seating capacity of
100,000, ...erected at a cost of half a million dollars.’ J.H. Wilcox
& Co. designed the 43-foot high pipe organ. At opening ceremonies on
June 17, 1872, before some 15,000 spectators, Phillips Brooks
presented a prayer and Boston mayor William Gaston and Nathaniel
Prentice Banks gave speeches. ‘Unfortunately the size of the building
and the din of the workmen caused passages of the prayer and speeches
to be inaudible.’ Many musicians performed at the jubilee. During the
festival ‘the bands of the Grenadier guards, from London, of the Garde
republicaine, from Paris, of the Kaiser Franz regiment, from Berlin,
and a band from Dublin, Ireland: with Johann Strauss, the waltz-king,
Franz Abt, the German song-writer, and many famous soloists, vocal and
instrumental, were among the foreign attractions.’ One concert
featured a ‘performance of Verdi's Il Trovatore by a 2,000-member
orchestra, conducted by Johann Strauss, Jr., and 100 assistants,
accompanied by a 20,000-voice chorus.’ The Fisk University Jubilee
Singers also gave a concert, the first time African American ‘singers
[were] included in a big musical production’ in the country”
[Wikipedia].

Folding invitation. 8.5”x11”. Minor soil, light wear, starting to
split along the folds. $25

A Picture ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images500/th-52750-cover.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.