[Rarebooks] FS: John Ruskin Letter to his Publisher in Beautifully Bound Copy of SESAME AND LILIES

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Mon Jan 11 11:09:42 EST 2021

RUSKIN, John. SESAME AND LILIES with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to
his Publisher by Ruskin tipped in. London: George Allen, Sunnyside,
Orpington, 1896. Eleventh Edition. Full gilt-decorated green morocco by
Hatchard, gilt dentelles with marbled endpapers, top edge gilt. With an
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED by Ruskin to George Smith tipped in at the
front. In full: "I am thoroughly ashamed at not having answered -- I
believe I did not -- your kind letter about Mr. Rich.-- I never meant to
say that Mr. Rich had done his work badly, but only that I think I can
do [?] little bit better -- and shall be very grateful to you if you
will let me do so. I have been delayed by a little cold in finishing my
[?] of lectures but hope to do so next week, and to have leisure for
everything. You see I am getting my [?] of letters looked over today. I
think you will find the Edinburgh people on the whole in very good
humour with my lectures -- and they really should be, for I took great
pains with them." Ruskin adds a postscript: "I have written to my father
to consult with him about publishing my lectures. Edmunton (?) wanted to
do it here, but I wish I should never leave W. Smith -- as long as he
was not tired of me." With an auction description of this copy from 1925
tipped to the front pastedown. Contents clean; letter with some
splitting along one fold but intact. Binding rubbed along front hinge,
covers tight. Near Fine.

George Smith (1824-1901), son of the founder of the publishing firm
Smith, Elder, and Co., took over for his father in 1846, publishing many
of Ruskin's major works. (#020205)        $2,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020205/john-ruskin/sesame-and-lilies-with-an-autograph-letter-signed-als-to-his-publisher-by-ruskin-tipped-in

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825