[Rarebooks] FS: Early Astrological-Herbal (with probable) 17th century teen ("9 teen and a half, ") scribblings)

Ezra Tishman thebookfinder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:10:24 EDT 2021

Good morning or afternoon, all.

Ezra from Aardvark offers this mid-seventeenth century herbal by Nicholas Culpeper:

Culpeper, Nich. (Gent. Student in Physick and Astrology). THE ENGLISH PHYSITIAN ENLARGED: AND NOW
MADE A VERY NECESSARY PART OF THE PHYSITIANS LIBRARY THAT WILL CURE ALL DISEASES. THE
EPISTLE WILL INFORM YOU HOW TO KNOW THE TRUE IMPRESSION FROM THE COUNTERFEIT.
BEING AN ASTROLOGO-PHYSICAL DISCOURSE OF THE VULGAR HERBS OF THIS NATION:
CONTAINING A COMPLEAT METHOD OF PHYSICK, WHEREBY A MAN MAY PRESERVE HIS BODY IN
HEALTH; OR CURE HIMSELF BEING SICK, FOR THREE PENCE CHARGE, WITH SUCH THINGS ONLY AS
GROW IN ENGLAND, THEY BEING MOST FIT FOR ENGLISH BODIES The Epistle Wil Inform You How to Know
The True Impression from the Counterfeit.

London, England: Peter Cole, Printer and Bookseller at the sign of the
Printing-press in Cornhil, near the Royal Exchange, 1662. 8vo.

Contemporary brown calf crudely reinforced on the spine with maroon diced leather. 1662 Date in black letters to front board.
Manuscript label to spine. Several grayish-blue flecks to
leather,A few very tiny tobacco ash burns to several pages. [24], 173, 284-398, [16] p. Text contiguous despite erratic
pagination, and some misprints. Index/Table of Diseases at rear. Description of plants and their pharmacological and medical
usages. Small, triangular chip out of endpaper and title page, with one or two words gone. Verso of title page shows full page
of period manuscript, indicating ownership by a woman named Elizabeth (Elizabeth Morris is my name and England is my
(home?)/ Elizabeth Morris is my name and England is my native land / London is my dwelling place and Christ is my
salvation..." It appears that Elizabeth writes her age as 9 teen and a half, but not sure. Date of this manuscript is 1759. This is
followed by a 5 1/2- page publisher's advertisement; Another 2-line manuscript note from Elizabeth follows: "Elizabeth
Morris's Book/God gave her grace there on to Look."; followed by a 4 1/2-page note from author to reader, a small table of
"Authors Made Use of in This Treatise"; "An Alphabetical Table of All the Herbs and Plants Used in This Book, and Also
What Planet Governeth Every One of Them; A "Contents of the Directions for Syrups, Conserves, Oyls, Oyntments, Plaisters,
&c., of Herbs, Roots, Flowers, &c., Whereby You May Have Them Ready for Use All the Year Long; Mrs. Culpeper's
Information, Vindication and Testimony, Concerning her Husband's Books to be Published After His Death". Headcaps, ornate
dropcaps. Blue silk marker sewn in. An original pencil drawing on rear free endpaper -- an astrological diagram, most likely
after Culpeper's "Inclosed Scheam" which appears on p. 396. Worldcat only locates three copies of this edition. R232060.
Probably around the sixth printing. Good. Leather-bound. (#80940). 				$750.

https://www.ezrabook.com/pages/books/80940/nich-culpeper-gent-student-in-physick-and-astrology/the-english-physitian-enlarged-and-now-made-a-very-necessary-part-of-the-physitians-library-that

Ezra The Bookfinder
Aardvark Books, ABAA
& Ezra Tishman Book Appraisals, LLC
3650 Chambers Street
Eugene, OR  97405-1917
(541) 683-3131 Office     (541) 520-9821 Cell/BEST
thebookfinder at gmail.com   http://ezrabook.com
bookappraisals at gmail.com

Fine Books, Manuscripts and Archives Sold, Consigned & Appraised, since 1995.
Member ABAA, ILAB, IOBA
Qualified Appraiser, Books and Manuscripts,  American Society of Appraisers (ASA)