[Rarebooks] FS: HAMILTONIA (Eliphalet Nott's Sermon, Hamilton's Last will and his accompanying letter,

Ezra Tishman thebookfinder at gmail.com
Wed May 5 22:51:38 EDT 2021

Good evening, Night Hawks:

Ezra from Aardvark offers this little Hamilton remove - not in the best shape, so don’t read on if condition outweighs content.

																						     $150
Nott, Eliphalet. A DISCOURSE DELIVERED IN THE NORTH DUTCH CHURCH IN THE CITY OF ALBANY
OCCASIONED BY THE EVER TO BE LAMENTED DEATH OF GENERAL ALEXANDER HAMILTON, JULY 29,
1804. 1810. Removed, from with a small red sticker to title page. Numbered 87-138pp.Good only — light spotting throughout.  According to Paul Leicester Ford,who compiled Bibliotheca Hamiltonia (AMS, NY [1882]
1972) the book from which this was removed, was probably Eliphalet Nott's "Miscellaneous Works" (Schenectady USA. Schermerhorn.)1810.

Of this piece, Ford wrote:
"The most popular sermon on Hamilton's death" (Bibliotheca Hamiltonia, No. 101, p. 77).

Contains Nott's discourse (pp. 87-119) ;(32pp.)l the Appendix comprises a letter originally in Hamilton's hand but here
reprinted (oo, 123-127; 5 pp.) which revealed Hamilton's last comments wishing he could avoid the duel and his last will and
testament. It ccompanied Hamilton's Will (pp. 127-129 (3 pp.), Bishop [Benjamin] Moore's letter (OPO, 129-133; 5pp. and
Rev. Mr. [J.M.] Mason's letter to the editor of the Commercial advertiser (pp. 133-138; 6 pp.)
(Bibliotheca Hamiltoniana, 101).

Mr. Mason offers up an account of his conversation with General Hamilton "the day previous to his decease", for he (Mason)
judges it. his "duty to lay the following narrative before the public.: Alexander Hamilton was speaking to Mr. Mason in
Christian terms ("The blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth from all sin", etc.), Mason continues his account of the last meeting with
Hamilton: "It (dueling) was alwys against my principles. I used every expedient to avoid the interview: but I have found, for
some time past, that my life MUST be exposed to that man. I went to the field determined not to take his life.", He repeated his
disavwal of all intention to hurt Mr. Burr; the anguish of his mind in recollecting what had passed; and his humble hope of
forgiveness from his God.". Mason concludes: "I saw him a second time, on the morning of Thursday; but from his
appearance, and what I had. heard, supposing he could not speak without severe effort, I had no conversation with him. ..His
mind remained in its former state; and he viewed, with calmness, his approaching dissolution. I left him between twelve and
one, and at two, as the public know, he breathed his last..." (J.M. Mason).

$150.  Let me know.

Ezra The Bookfinder
Aardvark Books, ABAA
& Ezra Tishman Book Appraisals, LLC
3650 Chambers Street
Eugene, OR  97405-1917
(541) 683-3131 Office     (541) 520-9821 Cell/BEST
thebookfinder at gmail.com   http://ezrabook.com
bookappraisals at gmail.com

Fine Books, Manuscripts and Archives Sold, Consigned & Appraised, since 1995.
Member ABAA, ILAB, IOBA
Qualified Appraiser, Books and Manuscripts,  American Society of Appraisers (ASA)