[Rarebooks] fa: CALCUTTA FACES AND PLACES IN PRE-CAMERA DAYS - Calcutta: 1910

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 8 12:00:31 EST 2021

Auction ending Sunday, November 14. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

https://tinyurl.com/4yuvxwj5

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Wilmot Corfield: Calcutta Historical Society: Calcutta Faces and Places in Pre-Camera Days. Calcutta: Thacker, Spink & Co., 1910. Part I (all published). First edition. Folio (28 cm) in original printed wraps, tipped-on illustration of the "Arms of John Zephaniah Holwell"; 60 pp., profusely illustrated in black&white. Chipping to the spine, bumping to the corners, small piece at bottom corner of rear cover torn away, occasional finger-dimples to the leaves. Small ink stamp of the Royal Empire Society on the front cover and last page of text.

Quite uncommon: WorldCat locates only 5 copies in institutions worldwide (U of Michigan, U of Melbourne, BL, NL of Scotland, BN de France), none of which mentions any subsequent volumes, so presumably "Part I" was the only part ever published. The list of patrons includes the Earl of Minto, Lord Curzon (Viceroy of India 1899-1905), the Maharajah of Cooch Behar, the Hon. the Nawab Bahadur of Murshidabad, etc.