[Rarebooks] FS: Aaron Burr AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED to Martha Bradstreet

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Nov 19 11:30:11 EST 2021

BURR, Aaron. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). n.p., 1 January [early
1800s]. A one-page letter on laid paper (6" x 7-1/2") without salutation
but addressed to Mrs. [Martha] Bradstreet on the address panel. In full:
"I very much suspect, my dear friend, that you will escape the noise of
our french and spanish infantry today -- they marched, literally
marched, to West Chester on Friday last under orders to return last
evening -- they have not appeared nor has anything been heard of them --
I wrote to them yesterday by mail desiring that they would return by
this morning's stage -- but they may not think of going to the Post
Office -- the stage has arrived without them -- It may be concluded
therefore that we shall not see them today -- This will not deprive me
of the honor of dining with you & of offering in person the assurance of
my respect & attachment." SIGNED "A. Burr." Some fading of the ink in
the last few lines and the signature, but very readable. Near Fine.

Aaron Burr, a Continental Army officer in the Revolutionary War and
third vice president of the United States, serving during Jefferson's
first term (1801-1805), is best known for killing Alexander Hamilton in
an infamous illegal duel in 1804, the final year of Burr's vice
presidency. All charges against Burr were eventually dropped, but it
ended his political career. As a successful lawyer, one of Burr's
clients was Martha Bradstreet who, though born in Ireland, spent most of
her life in America trying to reclaim ownership of thousands of acres of
land around Utica, New York, that belonged before the Revolution to her
step-grandfather, General John Bradstreet, former Governor of
Newfoundland, best known for his role in the French and Indian Wars.
(#020770)        $2,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020770/aaron-burr/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825