[Rarebooks] FS: 1881 ‘Arkansas Stone Baby’ Folk Art Fraud Carte de Visite

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Wed Oct 13 11:01:50 EDT 2021

1881 ‘Arkansas Stone Baby’ Folk Art Fraud Carte de Visite.

The second half of the 19th century saw an explosion in interest in
excavations of remains and artifacts of ancient life and peoples; this
interest in turn fueled a secondary upsurge in amateur carvers and
promoters anxious to make a quick profit without doing any actual
excavating. “This stone image was discovered at the famous Eureka
Springs, Arkansas, on the first day of October, 1880, by T.H.
Campbell, four feet below the surface of the earth, while digging a
well. When discovered it was inclosed in a composition of blue clay,
charcoal, and lime, a portion of which has not been removed from the
image… The image is twenty-six inches in length, and weighs
eighty-five pounds”.

The extraordinary carving was offered to the Peabody Museum in Salem,
Massachusetts for purchase and was examined by Dr. M.E. Wadsworth
whose examination not only found that the figure could not have been
buried in the earth for very long, if at all, but that that soil/chalk
composition surrounding it which had not been removed contained scraps
of modern printed paper. “Of course”, Dr. Wadsworth concluded his
report, “in the light of these facts, further discussion is
unnecessary”. The Peabody returned the figure to Mr. Campbell with the
report and the suggestion that the carving be destroyed, a suggestion
which was certainly not followed, as an 1881 newspaper reports that
the figure was purchased by the Smithsonian Institution, but there the
trail ends.

Carte de Visite. 2.25”x4.25”. Some soil and wear, corner crease. [48964]  $175

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-48964-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-48964-cover2.jpg>

--
Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

       ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.