[Rarebooks] FS: 1853 Gone Fishing w/Color Plates

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 7 12:51:03 EDT 2021

Giraudiere, [Hyppolite] de Chavannes de la.  Souvenirs d’un Vieux Pecheur.

Published in Tours by A. Mame et cie in 1853 (2nd edition).

First published in 1852 with a different cover design. A delightful
and extremely enthusiastic excursion for a juvenile audience into the
world of fishermen, male and female, in all sorts of places and for
all sorts of “fish”, illustrated with 8 wonderful colored lithographic
plates. The plates include coastal gatherers of the rock-bound mussel,
hardworking river fishermen using nets and basket traps, Chippewa
indians spear-fishing in a carved canoe, men and women in the shallow
tide flats of Brittany gathering fish with brooms and baskets,
Chinamen fishing using neck-ringed cormorants, hardy sailors on the
high seas hunting baleen whales, cod fishermen using nets from their
dories off Newfoundland, and boys and girls gathering shellfish in the
tidal flats.

The author was born in 1804 in Flanders, his grandfather having been
exiled there by Louis XVI after having the temerity to try to collect
a large debt allegedly owed him by Louis XV. He returned to France on
a government trade mission to promote silk culture, on which subject
he wrote several books. He then fell in with the publisher Touraine
Mame for whom he produced a prodigious number of titles, many of them,
such as this one, aimed at a juvenile readership, on a variety of
historical, travel-related, and other practical topics. A member of
the Societe des Sciences, Arts et Belles Lettres d’Indre-et-Loire, and
the Sociéte des Phalansteriens, Giraudiere’s liberal politics made him
the target of police observation from time to time, and his sons,
successful machinists, would pick the short-lived Communard cause in
the wake of the Franco-Prussian War and suffer imprisonment and exile.
But that’s a story far removed from this rather charming and awesome
little book.  Publisher’s decorated board covers. 5”x8”, xi + 177
pages, plus 8 colored lithographed plates with blue paper guards. The
covers are elaborately decorated with colorful scenes of fish,
fishermen, foliage, nets, and so on. Covers with some wear and soil,
front top corner damaged. Pages with some scattered foxing and light
soil.  [43043]  $200

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-page4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-page5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43043-page6.jpg>

--
Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

       ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.