[Rarebooks] SUBSTANTIAL DISCOUNTS ON 19 LISTINGS

Stephen Johnson allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:33:45 EDT 2022

*Greetings to All.  *

*Subject to the rules set forth below, the below items are temporarily
available at greatly reduced prices as set forth below.   These discounts
will be available from the sending of this email through and including
Friday, August 6, 2022 at 8:00 pm San Francisco, California time.*

Multiple images of each item can be found at www.allingtonbooks.com
 *Immediate payment is required*.  *To purchase at the
above discounted prices, please email us and we will send the Buyer a
PayPal invoice**. *

*PLEASE NOTE:  AS ITEMS SELL, WE MAY TEMPORARILY REMOVE SOME OF THE
THEN-REMAINING BELOW ITEMS FROM OUR SITE, THEREBY EXCLUDING THEM FROM THIS
DISCOUNT SALE.  SO, IF YOU SEE SOMETHING(S) YOU WANT, PLEASE ACT QUICKLY.
We will not remove any unsold items before 6 pm today North Carolina time.*

All items are returnable (in the same condition as delivered to Buyer)
within 15 days of delivery (or attempted delivery, if earlier) of the item
to Buyer's mailing address.
Media Mail shipping to destinations in the continental USA is free,
elsewhere at cost minus $5.00
Each item is subject to prior sale.

With Thanks for your consideration of the these items and

Best Wishes,
Stephen

[Lonergan, C. James]
Lonergan World War I Archive: . [WORLD WAR I - INTERNATIONAL
RELATIONS/PROPAGANDA] LONERGAN, C. James. Archive Relating to the United
States Speaking Tour of British Captain C. James Lonergan.

London, New York, and multiple other locations, Multiple Publishers, Varied
Bindings; Some Items staples, some never bound

[WORLD WAR I - INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS/PROPAGANDA] LONERGAN, C. James.
Archive Relating to the United States Speaking Tour of British Captain C.
James Lonergan.

London, New York, and others, 1918. Collection of thirty (30) items
relating to the special duty speaking tour of British Captain C. James
Lonergan. The archive consists of typed and mimeo documents detailing
Lonergan's orders prior to embarking for New York from London; typed
letters signed regarding the organization of the tour once Lonergan had
arrived in New York; numerous memos from the American National Red Cross
Atlantic Division regarding individual speaking engagements throughout the
Northeast; and letters of gratitude from the organizers. Highlights of the
archive (and Lonergan's speaking tour) include the program of an event
organized by the Flatbush Motor Corps on December 9, 1918, at which Harry
Houdini performed (Lonergan was slated to speak during intermission and
from which a meaningful portion of the rear wrap has been torn away and is
missing). Condition of the collection is generally Very Good with usual
mail folds and toning at extremities; rather large loss across bottom
margin of Motor Corps program with some loss of sense; otherwise Very Good.
A detailed list of the collection can be found below:

1. 5pp. typed and mimeo-ed document sent by Lieutenant J.L. Fisher of the
War Office delineating Lonergan's special duty responsibilities while in
America. "The primary purpose of your visit to the United States was to
take part in a publicity campaign to encourage subscriptions to the new
Liberty Loan, but on account of unavoidable delays, it is feared you will
now arrive too late for this...The object of your mission is not so much to
explain the reasons why Great Britain entered the war, nor the aims which
must be attained before Great Britain can agree to peace, but rather to
quicken the interest and enthusiasm of the American people for the war
(whenever that may be necessary)." The document goes on to describe what to
expect of American citizens, especially with regards to their shortcomings:
"In speeches and conversations, however, you should remember that there
exists in the United States considerable ignorance of European policy and
diplomacy, and that this is enhanced by a failure to appreciate the
geography of Europe...In the course of your tour you may meet with heckling
and even hostility from certain sections of Irish-Americans. You will
probably find it expedient to treat such manifestations with good humour,
above all avoiding implication in the Irish controversy." The instructions
go on to urge him to practice temperance, and report to the British Bureau
of Information upon arriving in New York.

2. 1p. typescript document titled "Public Speakers to the U.S.A.,"
providing bureaucratic instructions regarding permission slips, uniforms,
etc.

3. Typed permission slip accomplished in manuscript giving Captain Lonergan
permission to wear his uniform while delivering his lectures.

4. 1p. typed letter signed by Frederick J. Nichols to Lonergan, dated
November 11, 1918, on United Work Campaign letterhead instructing him to
report to Charles M. Mayne upon arriving in New York.

5. 1p. typed letter from Dr. H.D. Dakin to Lonergan (11/14/18), in regards
to the arrangement of a talk at the Rockefeller War Demonstration Hospital.

6. Printed note card accomplished in manuscript stating that Captain
Lonergan will speak at the Rye Seminary on November 15, 1918.

7. 1p. typed letter signed by Katrina Ely Tiffany, "Chairman" of the
Speakers' Bureau, United War Work Campaign of Greater New York on their
letterhead. Dated November 22, 1918, thanking Lonergan for his service.

8. 1p. typed memo on American National Red Cross Atlantic Division
letterhead (11/22/1918) regarding a trip to the Chester Hill Methodist
Church, Mt. Vernon ("Take a taxi").

9. 1p. typed memo as above (11/29/1918) regarding a speaking engagement at
the New York Institute for the Deaf ("An interpreter will repeat your
speech to the audience").

10. 1p. typed (copy) letter signed by organizer Earl J. Arnold on
Overland-Manross Tire Co. letterhead (11/30/18), addressed to Red Cross
organizer Claude Reddish regarding the upcoming speaking engagement in
Bristol, Connecticut: "...what I am nervous about is to get him [Lonergan]
here in time Sunday as the Cranston Benson lecture I managed gave me
nervous prostration, almost, as the speaker did not arrive until just
thirty minutes before the time of the lecture, and I had 2,200 people
already in the church, and no speaker as yet in the city."

11. 1p. typed memo as nos. 8-9 (12/3/18) regarding Lonergan's speaking
engagements in Bristol, Connecticut, and Flatbush in Brooklyn.

12. 1p. typed memo as above (12/9/18) regarding four engagements, at P.S.
160 in Brooklyn; the Bird Cage Tea Room on Fifth Ave. ("You are to speak
briefly and informally"); Jersey City; and at an open house mass meeting at
the Union of All the Churches.

13. Program for the event organized by the Flatbush Motor Corps and the
National League for Women's Service held at Flatbush Theatre, December 9,
1918, at which Houdini performed. Octavo (24cm.); original tan decorative
card wrappers printed in red and blue; [40]pp.

14. 1p. typed letter signed by H.L. Stone (12/10/18) thanking Lonergan for
his lecture.

15. 1p. typed (copy) letter signed by Jacob C. Klinck (12/11/18) thanking
Lonergan.

16. 1p. typed letter signed by Stephen Callaghan of the Supreme Court of
New York (12/11/18) thanking Lonergan in advance for his upcoming lecture
at the Men's Club at the All Saints' Church in Brooklyn: "We shall have a
splendid attendance, and an intelligent audience, of at least four hundred
people."

17. 1p. typed letter signed by Lieutenant Ada S. Best of the National
League for Woman's Service (12/12/18) thanking Lonergan for his lecture
delivered at the Flatbush Theatre.

18. 1p. typed (copy) letter signed by Earl J. Arnold (12/12/18) addressed
to Claude Reddish thanking him for organizing the event in Bristol.

19. 1p. typed letter signed by Claude Reddish to Lonergan (12/26/18)
thanking him for his service.

20. Printed card accomplished in manuscript extending Lonergan with a
30-day membership to the Metropolitan Club.

21. 1p. typed letter signed by Earl J. Arnold directly to Lonergan (no
date), thanking him for his talk in Bristol ("Your lecture was simply a
hummer").

22. 2pp. autograph letter signed by Grace G. Lambert of the Junior War
Relief Society (1/7/19) thanking Lonergan for his lecture: "We need more
such talks to enlighten as to the actual conditions of the German Prison
Camps."

23-30. Newspaper clippings relating to Lonergan's speaking tour.

Captain C. James Lonergan saw action on both the Western and the Sardinian
front, and spent more than a year in a German prisoner-of-war camp hospital
after suffering grave injuries. A contemporary newspaper article provides
at least a portion of a lecture delivered in Brooklyn before the Colonial
Daughters of the Seventeenth Century: "On October 16 we were on the Arras
front. This was my fourth front in eight months. I was ordered to hold out
as long as possible, but finally, when I saw that we would be surrounded
soon I ordered retreat. Most of my officers and men had been killed. I
received bullet wounds in the right knee and right thigh, and I lay on the
field several hours before a German officer approached me. I asked for
water, and he attempted to jam his bayonet through me. I partly warded off
the blow, but a steel cigarette case saved my life." Eventually a superior
officer intervened, saving Lonergan's life, though not before kicking his
wounded leg. Lonergan goes on to describe the wretched conditions of the
German hospital, where he underwent four operations without anaesthetic,
concluding "If any of you ever meet Dr. Greenbaum cable me. I want that
man's blood."
TOGETHER WITH AN ORIGINAL PUBLICITY POSTER FOR THE CAMPAIGN which we have
added to the Archive. Item #3278

Price: $1,850.00       TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $425.00

Hall, Captain Basil
Hall's Voyages: Voyage to Loo-Choo and Other Places in the Eastern Seas, in
the Year 1816 [Volume I]; Extracts From A Journal Written on the Coasts of
Chili, Peru, and Mexico, in the Years 1820, 1821, 1822 [Volume II]

Edinburgh and London: Archibald Constable & Co.; and Hurst, Robinson, & Co.
[In Edinburgh and London, respectively], 1826. Hardcover. Hall's Voyages,
offered in two volumes in matching small half-leather bindings with marbled
boards and with each Volume having the respective titles set forth above
following a (preliminary) title page that reads: "Constable's Miscellany of
Original and Selected Publications in the Various Departments of
Literature, the Sciences, & the Arts" with these two volumes being the
first two volumes of a larger set of various works by different authors.
[The title page of the second of these volumes has a title page marked
Volume I, but the text is that for Volume II.] Each spine is titled and
numbered in gilt and lined in black. A Very Good or better set with only
modest wear. Captain Basil Hall (1878-1844) was a British Naval Officer
born in Scotland who entered the Royal Navy in 1802 and who became both
traveler and author. At his Father's encouragement, he kept a journal which
became the basis for his books and other publications based on his travels.
Notably, per Wikipedia, "Hall explored Java in 1813 and as a part of a
diplomatic mission to China under Lord Amherst in 1816 undertook surveys of
the west coast of Korea and the outlying Ryukyu Islands of Japan. This
resulted in his book Account of a Voyage of Discovery to the West Coast of
Corea and the Great Loo-Choo Island in the Japan Sea (1818), which was one
of the first descriptions of Korea by a European. Hall's journals also
provide one of the few accounts of the wreck of the Arniston in 1815, which
gave its name to the seaside town of Arniston, South Africa. As a captain,
he was very critical of the fact that this ship did not have a marine
chronometer with which to calculate longitude, and attributed the great
loss of life directly to this false economy. In 1817 he also took the
opportunity to interview Napoleon (who had been an acquaintance of his
father) on St. Helena." [See Volume I of the set herein described.]
Furthermore: "Hall took command of HMS Conway in May 1820 and in August he
sailed her to the west coast of South America. He returned to England in
spring 1823 and Conway was paid off. His journals of this period became the
book, Extracts from a Journal Written on the Coasts of Chile, Peru and
Mexico (1823)." Again see Volume I of the set herein described. Very good
+. Item #3522

Price: $450.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $125.00

Henty, G. A.
By England's Aid; Or the Freeing of the Netherlands

New York: Scribner and Welford, [Undated but 1890]. First American Edition,
First Printing. Hardcover. A Very Good to Very Good + copy of the first
American Edition, first printing, being one of the last four G. A. Henty
titles to be published with the Scribner and Welford imprint. The first
American edition of this novel and the other three in the last four printed
by Blackie for release in America by Scribner and Welford ["By Right of
Conquest", "Maori and Settler", and "A Chapter of Adventures"] were all
issued with undated title pages -- thus being an exception to Harland
Eastman's rule that true first American Scribner and Welford Editions
require a dated title page). This copy meets all of the requirements of the
first American Edition. (Notably, the Scribner and Welford First Editions
of Henty's novels are much scarcer than are Blackie First Editions, and
only 1,000 copies of this edition were printed, a paltry number compared to
the number of Blackie editions published -- see information below.) [PLEASE
NOTE: Harland Eastman states in his work on the Scribner and Welford
editions, that the Blackie half-title was retained, but it is not present
in this copy and there is no sign of its having been removed.] Eastman also
states that the Scribner and Welford first American Edition has a "Note" on
the title page's verso that does not appear in the Blackie first edition,
and Eastman provides the text of that Note. In this copy, the text of said
Note appears on the verso of the page where the Preface begins. Henty
Editions issued in America after the final four Scribner and Welford
editions described above were published under the Charles Scribner's Sons
imprint. [The later copies of this title issued in America have the same
cover designed, so collectors seeking the true first American Edition
should use due care to avoid confusing later editons with this true First
American Editon.] [PLEASE NOTE: In his excellent Bibliography of Henty's
works, the Second Edition, Peter Newbolt notes that the Blackie first
edition was published on June 14, 1890 and that by the end of February,
1891, Blackie had sold 4,270 copies, that over the next ten years they sold
5,370 more copies (with the average sale over an eleven-year period of 876
copies per year), leaving only 117 copies -- which were sold over the next
six years. Thus, we have here an EXTRAORDINARILY SCARCE, LIKELY RARE, TRUE
FIRST AMERICAN EDITION of this G. A. Henty work. Very good +. Item #3520

Price: $1,250.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $350.00

Henty, G. A. [Henty, George Alfred]
For the Temple; A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem

New York: Scribner and Welford, [Undated but with the 1889 Catalogue]. First
Format. Hardcover. A Very Good + to Near Fine copy of the RARE SCRIBNER AND
WELFORD AMERICAN EDITION, FIRST FORMAT with the 32 Page Scribner and
Welford Catalogue for 1889, showing some expected handling soil to the
boards and some modest rubbing to the spine gilt as well as rubbing the
spine ends and board corners. The front, top, and bottom edges of the
closed page block are in green. Per Michael Fitterling: "This tale follows
the adventures of John of Gamala during the years of Roman occupation,
political infighting, and lawlessness that resulted in the destruction of
the Temple in AD 70. It puts the reader at the heart of the conflict
between Rome and the greedy political groups and robber bands of Palestine.
Although fighting a losing struggle, John keeps his integrity and honor
intact, even overcoming slavery and eventually becoming a procurator after
the struggle." Harland Eastman, a recognized expert of Henty's First
American Editions notes that the printings of Scribner and Welford first
editions of Henty's works were much smaller than were Blackie's First
British Editions. As to "For The Temple", he notes that Blackie printed
2,964 Blackie Firsts but printed a mere 745 Scribener and Welford firsts.
As this copy is not dated, Eastman has stated in conversation at a Henty
Society meeting that Scribner and Weford copies of Henty works with undated
title pages cannot be called first editions and that copies such as this
one should be called "First Format", meaning that it is in the same binding
as the first, but without the date. Nevertheless, this copy is certainly
EXCEEDINGLY SCARCE TO RARE. Near fine. Item #3519

Price: $325.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $135.00

Garland, Hamlin; Garland, Constance [Decorations]
My Friendly Contemporaries; A Literary Log

New York: The Macmillan Company, 1932. First Edition, First Printing. A
Fine copy of the First Edition, first printing (some shelf soil to the
closed page block's bottom leading edge, in a Fine dust jacket with some
wrinkling to the rear panel's upper left corner (corner-clipped by the
publisher, but not price-clipped), and some small tape repairs to the
verson; being the third book in Garland's books of reminiscences (the first
being "Roadside Meetings", and the second being "Companions on the Trail".
The cast of characters includes, but is far from being limited to, Theodore
Roosevelt, Irving Bacheller, Winston Churchill, John Mansfield, Ellen
Glasgow, John Galsworthy, Amy Lowell, and Rudyard Kipling. This is the best
copy we ever have seen. Item #3516

Price: $50.00 TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $25.00

Trollope, Anthony
He Knew He Was Right

London: Strahan and Company, 1869. First Edition, First Printing. Hardcover.
A Very Good + copy of the first edition, first printing, in book form bound
in three-quarters brown leather and marbled boards, and with the leather
having inner borders decorated with double gilt lines, the spines being
lettered and decorated in gilt with the title, author name, volume numbers
being on green leather blocks, and the top edge of each volume's close page
block in gilt as well. The leather shows some modest rubbing at the edges
and Volume I is bound without a half-title. The work is illustrated with
sixty-four (64) illustrations by Marcus Stone (thirty-two being full plates
printed separately and thirty-two being vignettes printed with the text and
incorporating the initial letters to the thirty-two chapters they head. [In
Volume I, the List of Illustrations calls for the Plate titled "The Full
Mood at St. Diddulphs" at page 256 but it is instead bound in facing page
251. Each Volume has a Frontispiece. As called for by Sadlier, in Volume I,
the illustration called for at Page 301 is instead bound as the Volume's
Frontispiece and in Volume II, the illustration called for at Page 206 is
bound as that Volume's Frontispiece. In each Volume the page-marker ribbon
is present but detached.] Volume I's title page shows a tape shadow and
some damage from tape removal and each volume shows the prior owner's
bookplate to the front pastedown, a blank white plate to the decorated
front free endpaper and another to the first blank free endpaper. A rather
elegant set, the novel having been published by Strahan and Company and
printed by Virtue and Co. (who had sold the copyright to Strahan). The tale
centers on a husband and wife and the husband's errant suspicions of his
wife accompanied by his gradual fall into madness. Noted British Biographer
and travel writer James Pope Hennessey thought the work to be "one of
Trollope's best but least-known novels", and Henry James, who admired the
novel, described it as presenting "an impressive completeness of misery."
In the Saturday Review of Literature, January 27, 1940, Christopher LaFarge
stated: "One could indeed read this book with profit for the sole purpose
of discovering how Englishmen behaved in the 1860s." While not one of
Trollope's own favorites of his works, Henry James (who revered Balzac)
found the major caricature of this work, Louis Trevelyan to be "worthy of
Balzac", stating: "Louis Trevelyan, separated from his wife, alone,
haggard, unshaven, undressed, living in a desolate villa on a hill-top near
Siena and returning doggedly to his fancied wrong, which he has nursed
until it becomes an hallucination, is a picture worthy of Balzac." "He Knew
He Was Right" is indeed an impressive and highly-notable work. Very good +.
Item #3517

Price: $1,500.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $450.00

Everett, Edward; [Lincoln, Abraham]
Manuscript Letter [SIGNED]

Washington DC: 1854. First Edition [Autograph Letter SIGNED]. No Binding.
An original Manuscript Letter Signed from Edward Everett to W. Lewis
Shearer dated February 2, 1854 stating "I have Your favor of the 30th; when
the abstract of the Census to which you refer is published, I shall be
happy to send you a copy." Everett was an American politician, Unitarian
pastor, educator, diplomat, and orator from Massachusetts. A Whig, he
served as a U.S. representative, a U.S. senator, the 15th governor of
Massachusetts, a minister to Great Britain, and a United States Secretary
of State. He both taught at Harvard University and spent some of his time
there as its President. A prominent and famed orator during the antebellum
and Civil War eras, Everett is perhaps best known for having given the
first address at the dedication ceremony held at Gettysburg National
Cemetery on November 19, 1863. His address lasted approximately two hours.
Lincoln spoke after him and spoke for about two minutes. The following day
Everett wrote Lincoln saying, "I should be glad if I could flatter myself
that I came as near the central idea of the occasion in two hours as you
did in two minutes." The only printed copy of Everett's Address that we
ever have seen, published by Baker & Goowin, is, as of the date this
listing was written and posted, offered for sale on ABE for $36,000.00.
Near fine. Item #3411

Price: $350.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $90.00

Trollope, Anthony
The Prime Minister

London: Chapman and Hall, 1876. Hardcover. A Fine, attractive, copy of the
first edition, first printing, of the novel in book form (preceded by the
scarce Parts issue), bound in dark red half leather with marbled boards and
black title panels on the spines, with the closed page block edges of each
volume having been trimmed (but leaving good margins to the leaves) and
decorated/sprayed red. The text is rather clean and shows only occasional
spotting. Two leaves each show a closed tear, one of which invades the text
(see image). The volumes were issued without half-tiles and in Volumes I
and IV the volume number was written in pencil on the relevant title page
-- with that in Volume I having been somewhat erased. "The Prime Minister"
is the fourth of Trollope's Palliser novels [Can You Forgive Her? (1864);
Phineas Finn (1869); Phineas Redux (1874); The Prime Minister (1876); The
Eustace Diamonds (1873); and The Duke's Children (1879)]. Generally
referred to as The Parliamentary Novels, they overlapped his Barsetshire
novels, and were dramatization and broadcast by the BBC as The Pallisers.
Of "The Prime Minister", Trollope stated: "I had never yet drawn the
completed picture of such as statesman as my imagination had conceived....
He should have rank and, intellect, and parliamentary habits, by which to
bind him to the service of his country; and he should have unblemished,
inextinguishable, inexhaustible love of country...as the ruling principle
of his life and it should so rule him that all other things should be made
to give way to it.... Such as character I have endeavored to depict in
describing the triumph, the troubles, and the failure of my Prime
Minister." It is, in our opinion, a wonderful Trollope novel and this is a
wonderful copy with an excellent shelf presence. Fine. Item #3511

Price: $875.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $225.00

Stevenson, Robert Louis; Osbourne, Lloyd
The Wrong Box

New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1889. First Edition, First
Printing. Hardcover.
A Very Good or better copy of the first American edition, first printing in
the Publisher's original light brown binding, being mildly askew and
showing some light wear to each board's bottom edge and to the leading
corners, as well as a touch of rubbing to the spine ends, and some handling
soil to the boards, and a prior owner's bookplate to the front pastedown.
[Whether or not the UK edition preceded this American edition is unknown.]
The front board's title plate and "newspaper clipping" are in excellent
condition, and, to the rear, there are four pages of advertisements for
Stevenson's book. Notably, the novel was the first published collaboration
between Stevenson and his son-in-law. It is a dark comedy about the last
two remaining survivors of a tontine. Here, there is no inheritance per say
but rather a group of beneficiaries to a life-insurance policy whereunder
the last surviving beneficiary is to receive a fortune. The novel was the
basis for the 1966 film with Michael Caine, John Mills, Dudley Moore, Ralph
Richardson, Peter Cook, and Peter Sellers. A nice, attractive, copy. Very
good +. Item #3489

Price: $225.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $70.00

Stevenson, Robert Louis; Osbourne, Lloyd
The Ebb-Tide A Trio and Quartette

London: William Heinemann, 1894. First Edition. Hardcover. A Very Good copy
of the first English edition, first printing, of this novel written by
Robert Louis Stevenson and his stepson, Lloyd Osbourne, being Stevenson's
final novel, bound in the Publisher's original light-brown binding with the
front board lettered and decorated in black and the spine lettered in black
with the binding somewhat askew and showing some general wear including
some rubbing through to the spine ends, the spine's left edge, and each
board's leading corners as well as some small stains to the rear board. The
work is centered on a trio of beggars who operate in the port of Papeete on
Tahiti, being a failed English businessman, a disgraced ship captian, and a
dishonest Cockney and their adventures on a schooner in route from San
Fancisco to Sydney whose occupants have died from smallpox and that drifts
into port with its load of "champagne". One of the three is hired to
complete the ship's voyage and takes the other miscreants with him. They
determine to steal the ship, sell the cargo, and not return to Tahiti and
off they sail. Very good. Item #3488

Price: $210.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $60.00

Trollope, Anthony
North America

New York: Harper & Brothers, 1862. First Edition. Hardcover. A quite nice
copy of this Trollope work in a beautiful three-quarters brown leather
binding with the leaves of the work being in Very Good condition and being
the first American edition, first printing, with the spine being
buttressed, lettered in gilt, and lined in gilt as well. The boards,
pastedowns, and the facing side of the free endpapers are all marbled. This
is the first American edition, pirated by Harper and published on June 19,
1862. [The first Authorized edition was published by Lippincott of
Philadelphia later that year.] The publication of this pirated edition led
to a bitter controversy between Trollope and Harpers. Once Harpers pirated
the work, Trollope stated that, when he visited America in 1861, he had
called on both Harpers and Lippincott and arranged for Lippincott to
publish the work in two volumes. Trollope further claimed that he had
received an assurance from Fletcher Harper that Harpers would not publish
any of Trollope's works for which Trollope engaged another American
publisher to issue. He later arranged with Lippincott to publish the work
and, in May of 1862, Lippincott announced in American Publishers' Circular
and Literary Gazette that it had arranged with Trollope to publish the
book. Trollope' agreement with Lippincott that no royalties would be paid
to him for the first 2,000 sold by Lippincott and that Lippincott would pay
Trollope a 12% Royalty on any additional Lippincott copies that Lippincott
sold. By letter dated June 20,1862, Lippincott notified Trollope that
Harpers had published the work ahead of Lippincott and in a cheap volume,
which forced Lippincott to publish the work in one volume (instead of the
planned two) and to cut the price, thus adversely affecting Trollope's
Royalties. Fireworks (by way of letter) ensued. In addition to Trollope's
text, the volume contains an Appendix with the Declaration of Independence,
the U. S. Constitution and the Articles of Confederation A rather nice copy
of this piracy with a beautiful shelf presence. Very good +. Item #3497

Price: $300.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $100.00

Masch, Gottlieb Matthaeus Carl [Masch, G. M. C.]
Wappen-Almanach der Souverainen Regenten Europa [Coat of Arms Almanac of
the Sovereign Rulers of Europe]; Wappen-Almanach der souverainen Regenten
Europas : mit Geschlechts-Tabellen und Wappenbeschreibungen [Coat of arms
almanac of the sovereign rulers of Europe: with gender tables and
descriptions of the coat of arms]

Rostock: J. G. Tiedemann, 1842. First Edition, First Printing. Hardcover. A
Very Good or better copy of the first edition, first printing, of this
notable German Almanac of the Rulers of Europe issued for 1842, complete
with fifty-four (54) black and white plates, all present, each with its
original gender table and descriptions of the relevant Coat of Arms. The
volume shows some spotting to the covers, a name and address stamp to the
front free endpaper and some scattered foxing to the pages within; an
EXCEEDINGLY SCARCE BOOK with WorldCat locating only eight (8) copies. This
copy wears its EXTRAORDINARILY RARE ORIGINAL DUST JACKET. The dust jacket
and is in Very Good condition and shows some spotting and some modest chips
as well as one long and one short tear where the front panel turns to the
spine panel. A few small pieces of archival tape have been applied to the
verso to prevent such tears from growing. Another small tear appears where
the front panel turns to the front flap, and the spine label is cracked at
each turn to an adjoining panel. Notwithstanding the forgoing conditions,
the jacket's very existence is remarkable. In Mark Godburn's excellent work
[titled "Nineteenth-Century Dust-Jackets" published by Oak Knoll Press in
the US and by Private Libraries Association in the UK] Godburn includes an
Appendix providing a list of "...all known publishers' dust-jackets issued
on hardback books in Great Britain, Europe and the United States to 1870.
Both flap-style and sealed, plain and printed, are included. There are
about sixty titles overall, and, when multiple years of the same annual are
added, the figure is close to one hundred. German jackets predominated
before mid-century, but the largest number of titles are British, with
nearly forty, about half as many German, a handful of American and one
Danish." Had the present book in dust jacket been included, it would have
been named therein as the EIGHTH EARLIEST SURVIVING DUST JACKET. Thus, we
have here a notable book in an ASTONISHINGLY RARE ORIGINAL DUST JACKET. A
RARE FIND FOR COLLECTORS AND INSTITUTIONAL LIBRARIES. Very good / very
good. Item #3160

Price: $6,000.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $1,450.00

Verne, Jules
At the North Pole; or The Adventures of Captain Hatteras

Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1899. ALTA Edition. Hardcover. Jules Verne,
To the North Pole, Philadelphia, Porter & Coates, c. 1888. ALTA edition,
very good copy with some slant to volume and a few nicks to the front
board, in the EXCEEDINGLY RARE DUST JACKET, with an advertisement for other
works on the jacket verso with the latest title listed thereon indicating
an 1888 printing as the last title published that year. The book itself is
not dated, but the second free endpaper bears an 1899 owner stamp for Otto
L. Poltz who's bookplate resides on the front pastedown. The dust jacket is
quite worn and shows some archival tape repairs to the verso, but is one
the QUITE FEW recorded Verne jackets from the 19th century. We know of only
five such 19th Century Vern dust jackets, and, as of this description's
writing we can find no other 19th Century Jules Verne dust jackets on the
market. [Multiple images of the book and of the dust jacket can be found on
our proprietary Allington Books website. Set in 1861, the novel describes
the adventures of British expedition led by Captain John Hatteras to the
North Pole. [Captain Hatteras is rather like ] who is convinced that the
sea around the pole is not frozen (a common view in the period during which
this novel was published) and he is obsessed is to reach the place no
matter what. The Crew's mutiny results in destruction of their ship but
Hatteras, with a few men, continues his expedition. On the shore of the
island of New America (which is actually New Foundland) Hatteras discovers
the remains of a ship used by a previous Polar expedition from the United
States. Doctor Clawbonny, a member of the group, recalls the plan of the
real ice palace, constructed entirely from ice in Russia in 1740 to build a
snow-house and in an ice house they spend the winter, surviving primarily
due to the Doctor's ingenuity. He is able to make fire with an ice lens,
and bullets from frozen mercury, and also is able to repel attacks by
predatory polar bears through remotely controlled explosions of black
powder).
A decent copy of this Verne Work WEARING ITS RARE NINETEENTH CENTURY DUST
JACKET, PERHAPS ONE OF THE FEW CHANCES COLLECTORS EVER WILL HAVE TO ACQUIRE
ONE IN ANY CONDITION. Very Good / Less than Very Good. Item #3398

Price: $3,450.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $1,220.00

Lord Macaulay; Macaulay, Thomas Babington
Lays of Ancient Rome with Ivry and The Armada [New Edition]

London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1884. New Edition. Hardcover. A Very Good
to Very Good + copy of Lord Macaulay's most famous literary work bound in
red cloth with the spine lettered in gilt, the front board attractively
lettered and illustrated, and the closed page block edges in gilt as well.
(The cloth shows a dark portion at the top edge where the jacket does not
cover the cloth.) The text is illustrated with Forty-One (41) illustrations
of various sizes by J. R. Weguelin. First published in 1842, this QUITE
SCARCE JACKETED volume presents great Roman tales here retold by Thomas
Babington Macaulay (also known as Lord Macaulay). In four of these,
Macaulay recounts in poetic form four heroic episodes from early Roman lore
with strong dramatic and tragic themes. Macaulay also included two poems
inspired by more recent history: Ivry and The Armada. The narrative poems,
or lays, by Thomas Babington Macaulay, are titled "Horatius" [which
describes how Publius Horatius and two companions, Spurius Lartius and
Titus Herminius, hold the Sublician bridge, the only span crossing the
Tiber at Rome, against the Etruscan army of Lars Porsena, King of Clusium,
each of them willing to die in order to prevent the enemy from crossing the
bridge, and sacking the otherwise ill-defended city.] "The Battle of Lake
Regillus" [which celebrates the Roman victory over the Latin League at the
Battle of Lake Regillus. Several years after the retreat of Lars Porsena
and the Etruscans, Rome was threatened by a Latin army led by the deposed
Roman king, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, together with his son, Titus
Tarquinius, and his son-in-law, Octavius Mamilius, prince of Tusculum. In
conscious imitation of the renowned Homer, the work includes several
finely-described single combats]. "Virginia" [which describes the tragedy
of Virginia, the only daughter of Virginius, a poor Roman farmer. The
wicked Appius Claudius, a member of one of Rome's most noble patrician
families, and head of the college of decemvirs, desires the beautiful and
virtuous Virginia. He initiates legal proceedings, claiming Virginia as his
"runaway slave", knowing that his claim will be endorsed by the corrupt
magistracy over which he and his cronies preside. Driven to despair,
Virginius resolves to save his daughter from Claudius' lust by any
means—even her death is preferable.] and "The Prophecy of Capys" [which
narrates Romulus and Remus triumphal arrival at the house of their
grandfather, Capys, a blind old man who then enters a prophetic trance
foretelling the future greatness of Romulus' descendants, and their
ultimate victory over their enemies in the Pyrrhic and Punic wars. The two
additional poems also are of the highest quality. The first work, "Ivry, a
Song of the Huguenots" celebrates a 1590 battle won by Henry IV of France
and his Huguenot forces over the superior forces of the Catholic League.
While Henry's succession to the French throne was contested by those who
refused to accept a Protestant king of France, his great victory left him
the only credible claimant to the French crown he was unable to overcome
all his opposition until he converted to Catholicism in 1593. "The Armada:A
Fragment" which describes the arrival at Plymouth in 1588 of news of the
sighting of the Spanish Armada, and the lighting of beacons to covey the
news not only to London but to all of England. Philip II of Spain had sent
his Armada holding his army to invade England and to depose the Protestant
Queen Elizabeth. While his fleet was considered by many to be invincible,
the invasion was thwarted by a combination of England's vigilance and by
her forces' tactics that took advantage of the size and poor
maneuverability of the Armada's ships. Composed by Macaulay in his spare
time during his thirties while employed as a member of the Governor-General
of India's Supreme Council from 1834 to 1838 of them, Macaulay once
recounted that their composition occurred to him in the jungle at the foot
of the Neilgherry hills, with most of the verses being created during what
he called "a dreary sojourn" at Ootacamund and a "disagreeable" voyage
taken by him in the Bay of Bengal. His great work in which he intended was
to create poems resembling those that might have been sung in ancient
times, were were first published by Longman in 1842, at the beginning of
the Victorian Era. They became immensely popular, and were standard reading
in British public schools for over a century. Winston Churchill memorized
the four Roman Lays while at Harrow School and there won an award for
memorizing and declaiming all 1200 lines of Macaulay's text, demonstrating
that, notwithstanding is less than great academic performance at Harrow, he
was capable of giving a remarkable oratorical performance, a trait that
served both him and England later in his life. Notably In two films ["Into
The Storm" (2009) and "Darkest Hour" (2017)], Churchill is depicted
reciting Horatius' speech while serving Prime Minister during the Second
World War. [Please note: the RARE DUST JACKET shows a tear to the front
panel's turn to the front flap as well as a shorter tear where the spine
panel turns to the front panel. Small pieces of archival tape have been
applied to the jacket's verso at the internal extremes of such tears to
prevent them from lengthening. As to the larger tear, it is quite visible
in the first image with this listing -- while the second image shows the
jacket in a protective cover that holds the tear closed. The dust jacket
also has some tiny edge tears and a linear indent to the upper front panel.
A prior owner has written the author and title information to the upper
spine panel.] Copies in the dust jacket as early as is this one are
EXTRAORDINARILY SCARCE and perhaps RARE. Very good + / very good. Item #3231

Price: $2,250.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $625.00

Tavenor-Perry, J. [John] (1842-1915)
Dinanderie A History and Description of Mediaeval Art Work in Copper Brass
and Bronze [WITH ORIGINAL DRAWINGS]

Edinburgh: George Allen & Sons, 1910. John Tavenor-Perry. First
Edition. Hardcover.
An EXCEEDINGLY SCARCE Fine copy of the first edition, first printing, of
"Dinanderie A History and Description of Mediaeval Art Work in Copper Brass
and Bronze" by the British architect, architectural historian, and
specialist on medieval architecture John Tavenor-Perry, in a Fine example
of the QUITE RARE dust jacket, TOGETHER WITH MOST OF THE ORIGINAL DRAWINGS
USED IN THE BOOK. The book shows some pushing to the spine ends and a tiny
tear to the spine tail. The corners are sharp and the book's colour is
beautiful and full (without even a hint of the fading usually seen on other
copies), and the gilt lettering to the spine is quite bright. Many of the
page pairs are unopened at the leading edge, showing that the book has not
been read, the page block's top edge is in gilt, and the volume feels
rather tight and certainly has not been handled much. The QUITE RARE DUST
JACKET shows some minor pushing and tearing as well as a bit of loss at the
corners and edges and the rear panel shows a few tiny holes. The book comes
with seven (7) separate volumes which together contain what appears to be
an earlier concept for the book's title page as well as all but 14 of the
71 ORIGINAL PROOFS for Dinanderie's illustrations (each of which is named
as a "Figure" therein). [Dinanderie also contains 48 Plates taken from
photographs rather than from Tavenor-Perry's Original Drawings.] The great
majority of the Original Drawings have been executed on drawing boards,
although several of them have been drawn on paper affixed to such boards.
Many of them show handwritten notations in a hand or hands unknown to us
stating how the particular drawing is to appear in the book. Many of the
drawings are larger than their offspring in the book, rendering them more
easily viewable in detail. These drawings are found in the above-referenced
seven (7) separate volumes of Tavenor-Perry's Original Drawings. (Most of
such separate volumes are in merely good or better condition. They show
wear and tear to the bindings and many, if not most, of the boards which
host the drawings having come loose from their respective bindings.) Four
of these volumes -- those with blue spines -- are dedicated to Figures in
Dinanderie, and the other three volumes contain multiple original drawings,
some used in Dinanderie and some, if not all, of the others were used with
other Tavenor-Perry works such as "Paschal Candlesticks and some others",
an article by Tavenor-Perry which appeared in the October 1908 issue of
Christian Art, an illustrated monthly magazine, a copy of which is housed
in the Princeton University Library. One of the above-referenced separate
volumes (labeled "Paschal Lights") includes all ten (10) Figures provided
by Tavenor-Perry for such Christian Art article. Figures I and II therein
also appear as Figures 35 and 36 in "Dinanderie", Figure III therein
appears as Figure 39 in Dinanderie, and the three-item Figure IV therein
appears as Figures 41, 42, and 43 in "Dinanderie"). Per the Meriam-Webster
dictionary, "Dinanderie", means "decorative objects of brass, copper, or
bronze chiefly for ecclesiastical or domestic use such as were made in the
13th to 15th centuries" and is defined in Collins Dictionary as: "fine cast
metalwork objects, esp of bronze, made in the Belgian city of Dinant from
the late Middle Ages, or other later metalwork in this style". Copies of
Dinanderie are rather uncommon to the market, especially when in
collectable condition, and most we have seen are faded and often also show
meaningful wear. In our experience, copies in the dust jacket are virtually
impossible to find. Copies as nice as is this copy are as scarce as hen's
teeth and those this nice and in the dust jacket (especially in a dust
jacket as nice as is this one) are scarcer still. Not only is this copy
extraordinary, but accompanied by so many of the Original Tavenor-Perry
drawings used in the book, it is ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHING. Fine / Fine. Item

Price: $5,850.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $975.00

Todd, Mabel Loomis [Editor]
Cycle of Sonnets

Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1896. First Edition, First Printing. Hardcover. A
Fine, Superior, Beautiful copy of the first edition, first printing [with
scattered light foxing within], in the RARE ORIGINAL DUST JACKET which
shows only light wear and a bit of chipping — the ONLY COPY in the dust
jacket that we ever have seen. The offsetting to the pastedowns and
endpapers shows that this particular jacket is the ORIGINAL DUST JACKET.
The viewer will notice, of course, that the dust jacket is plain as it is
from the period when jackets were used not to market and sell the book but
only to keep the book clean until put out for sale. Virtually all of the
dust jackets for the book would have been discarded. Such jackets thus
lacked the decoration one sees on later-published books and also often did
not show one or all of the title, the author, or the publisher — all three
being absent from this dust jacket, as the dust jacket's sole purpose was
to keep the book clean until it was put out for sale. Thus, this book is
RARE in a dust jacket, especially so in a jacket as nice as is this one and
is a part of book publishing history, making it an important copy as well.
The top and bottom edges of the closed page block are trimmed, the top edge
is in gilt, and the leading edge us untrimmed. A QUITE SCARCE TO RARE copy
as well as a COLLECTION-DISTINGUISHING COPY.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The author of the sonnets is anonymous, and is
thought to be a male friend of Todd's. Todd, of course, also edited Emily
Dickinson's Poems -- which were also published by Roberts Bros. in the same
decade, also in plain jackets, as noted in correspondence of Todd and the
publisher. But no jacket on Dickinson's books is known to survive. This
book of sonnets may be the closest obtainable and comparable example of the
jackets that Roberts Brothers used on Emily Dickinson's books. RARE INDEED.
Fine / very good +. Item #3356

Price: $4,875.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $775.00
Trollope, Anthony
The Last Chronicle of Barset, With thirty-two illustrations by George H.
Thomas. [Bound from the Original Parts]

London: Smith, Elder and Co., 1867. Hardcover. A Very Good + copy of the
First edition, First Issue, bound from the original parts (without the
advertisements found in the original wrappered Parts; with the Publisher's
rights printed on the verso of both title pages (omitted from verso of
title page in vol. 2 for the book form edition) with the plate facing p.
297 of Volume with the semicolon present after "Hoggle-Stockians" (missing
in the bound edition), and the plate facing p. 370 spelling "Consent" with
a capital "C". On Page 157 of Volume I the final "D" of the running
headline is perfect (it appears broken in the second edition), and in
Volume 2, p. 298 line 21, third word is "Crawley" (which was changed to
"Toogood" in the second edition). The leaves have been rebound in 3/4 blue
leather with coordinated blue cloth, the closed page blocks, the
pastedowns, and the facing side of each free endpaper of each Volume is
marbled as well. Each volume's binding shows some imperfections due to age
and use, and a number of the leaves show tiny chips to their leading edges.
This work is the last of the six (6) Trollope novels in his wonderful
Barsetshire series of novels, and of this final installment Trollope
stated: "I regard this as the best novel I have written." The novel is
centered around a devout Clergymen, Josiah Crawley, and an allegation made
against him that he had stolen a check. The tale also covers the death of
quite unpleasant Mrs. Proudie, the then-Bishop's wife, and the Bishop's
consequent release from her thralldom. Of Trollope, Henry James stated:
"His [Trollope's] great, his inestimable merit was a complete appreciation
of the usual. ... [H]e felt all daily and immediate things as well as saw
them; felt them in a simple, direct, salubrious way, with their sadness,
their gladness, their charm, their comicality, all their obvious and
measurable meanings. ... Trollope will remain one of the most trustworthy,
though not one of the most eloquent, of the writers who have helped the
heart of man to know itself. ... A race is fortunate when it has a good
deal of the sort of imagination—of imaginative feeling—that had fallen to
the share of Anthony Trollope; and in this possession our English race is
not poor." A QUITE SCARCE COPY BOUND FROM THE ORIGINAL PARTS in which the
tale was first issued to the public. Very good +. Item #3362

Price: $1,550.00  TEMPORARILY AVAILABLE AT $400.00

Stephen Johnson
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC
Rare and Collectible Books, both Antiquarian and Modern
www.allingtonbooks.com