[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Intimate Tennessee Williams Letter Attractively Framed

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Mon Aug 8 10:00:38 EDT 2022

WILLIAMS, Tennessee. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) on His Breakdown and
Turning to Film as a Medium of Expression. [St. Louis, MO], 15 November
1969. SIGNED and dated as "10," his intimate signature, on an 8-12" x
9-1/2" sheet of paper, matted and framed with the original mailing
envelope and a photo of Williams to an overall size of . To Danny
[Stirrup], an old friend in Key West who had worked on Williams's house
there, sent from Barnes Hospital where Williams was recovering from a
mental breakdown. In part: "The mental fog in which I've been existing
the past couple of years has lifted away, but there are still nervous
and physical debilities.... The doctors are amazed at my mental
rehabilitation which was accomplished without shock treatments. I don't
suppose anyone but Bill knows what an awful shape I was in. The last
thing I clearly remember about the period in Key West before I came up
here was getting up a 2 A.M. and spilling a Silex of boiling water on my
shoulder. The rest is practically blank." Williams mentions how he won't
be able to travel to New York for the revival of CAMINO REAL and how he
dreads his brother Dakin flying to Key West with him: "I can't help
associating his with being locked up, especially those three weeks in
the acute ward which was a regular snake pit. Oh, I've got lots of
material for something, some medium of expression, I think probably a
film-script. The stage isn't big enough. The theme will be panic, the
history of a man in panic. I have been studying film-technique. My
bibliographer Andreas Brown owns the Gotham Book Mart in New York and he
has been sending published film-scripts to me. The spacial range and
fluidity of film is an exciting thing to consider." Toned and soiled,
with a few small holes (not affecting text) and creases. Very Good in an
attractive presentation. (#021008)        $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021008/tennessee-williams/typed-letter-signed-tls-on-his-breakdown-and-turning-to-film-as-a-medium-of-expression

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825