[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Booth Tarkington Handwritten SIGNED Letter about Reviewing Books

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Aug 10 13:21:14 EDT 2022

TARKINGTON, Booth. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Indianapolis, 8 April
1881. A four-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) in full on 10-1/4" x
6-1/4" personal stationery folded into four panels to book reviewer
William McCormick regarding his review of Tarkington's novel THE TURMOIL
and reviewing in general. In part: "I feel peculiarly grateful to you;
my feeling about reviews is that a reviewer reviews himself as well as
the book he is estimating. Most reviews seem to me to reveal more of the
reviewer than of the book. How many, many for instance, shout of
egotism; the reviewer being in labor from the outset to demonstrate that
he is the knowing fellow, the author a faltering apprentice, or worse!
Your review made me grateful because it was kind enough to see at what
pains I had been to write 'decent prose.' Such matters are usually
overlooked because--I cannot help but believe it--because the great
majority of reviewers have no perspective of prose texture. They do not
understand it--they cannot even feel it... All my life I have worked for
prose--for the texture of it--as the primary thing to be obtained--and
seldom indeed has a reviewer told me that here and there I have obtained
it... I shall put your review in the one copy of the book which I keep
and I do thank you!" Also with a one-page 1930 AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED
(ALS) from McCormick to the purchaser of this letter from him giving him
the provenance of the letter, along with a typed transcript of
Tarkington's letter. Ink smudged in several places, some soiling. Very
Good with dark ink. (#020966)        $500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020966/booth-tarkington/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825