[Rarebooks] FS: Wonderful FDR Letter about Grace Tully and wishing he were a private citizen

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Dec 2 11:09:41 EST 2022

ROOSEVELT, Franklin Delano. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) Expressing Desire
to be a Private Citizen. Warm Springs, GA, 30 November 1928. An
interesting one-page letter on personal stationery to Mary O'Connor Eben
of the Democratic National Committee. In full: "Dear Mary O'Connor:--
Many thanks for your mighty nice Thanksgiving greetings. All goes well
here and the Tully child is behaving as well as possible, in view of the
steady stream of newspaper boys who drop in here and forget the purpose
of their visit as soon as they see her. We all leave, I think, on
December ninth, and hope to see you when I get back. It must seem very
queer to you to be a private citizen once more. I wish I were in your
place. Always sincerely," and SIGNED "Franklin D. Roosevelt." Grace
Tully started working for the Democratic National Committee in 1928,
assigned to assist Eleanor Roosevelt who was organizing support for
presidential nominee Al Smith. Later that year, when FDR was nominated
for Governor of New York, Tully went to work on his staff. After
Roosevelt's successful election, Tully served as the assistant to Missy
LeHand, who was Roosevelt's personal secretary in Roosevelt's Albany
office, and served with FDR for his four years as governor. Both she and
Missy LeHand served FDR in the White House. She took over as personal
secretary to the President when LeHand suffered a stroke in 1941 and was
present at his death in Warm Springs in 1945. Creasing and wrinkling.
Very Good with a Fine signature. (#021097)        $900

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021097/franklin-delano-roosevelt/typed-letter-signed-tls-expressing-desire-to-be-a-private-citizen

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825