[Rarebooks] FS: Red Lion Pennsylvania Cigar Factory Hildebrand Family Ledgers

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Tue Dec 6 14:13:06 EST 2022

1897 & 1900 Red Lion Pennsylvania Cigar Factory Hildebrand Family Ledgers

Two ledgers, one for 1897 and one for 1900, by members of the
Hildebrand family, detailing work and payments for the complicated
process of manufacturing cigars. Red Lion, Pennsylvania was one of the
most important cigar-making centers in the United States from the
period after the Civil War until the Great Depression. Much of the
work was sub-contracted out to individual families who supplied
tobacco leaf and rolled the cigars for one or more of the 100+
companies which operated there.

The Pennsylvania Heritage website explains- “Leaf for these
home-rollers was raised on their own farms, or pur­chased from local
farmers. Most was bought from Red Lion’s tobacco mer­chants, who
supplied both domestic and imported leaf. As the demand for cigars
rose after the Civil War, cigar making slowly became more organized.
By the 1880s, the home factories could not keep up with the market,
and the Dutch entrepreneurial spirit flowered. A well-organized system
of subcontracting emerged in which a cen­tral office supplied tobacco,
fanned out the labor to the hundreds of homes, then collected, boxed
and marketed the finished product. Sometimes all the labor was farmed
out. Mervin Kaltreider, whose father was an early cigar manufacturer,
recalls this opera­tion. “These little factories in the houses would
make the cigars for other manufacturers. Then we’d come and take the
cigars and pack them” for shipment to the markets.”

Two business ledgers- 8”x12.5”, 85 pages used, and 7.5”x12”, 200
pages, most of them used). Covers worn and soiled, the smaller ledger
is quite worn, with several sets of pages detached but present, and
pages folded, soiled, and worn. With- several Red Lion cigar
billheads.  $600

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-6.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-7.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-8.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-54034-9.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.