[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce Handwritten 17-page MANUSCRIPT by Booker T. Washington

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Feb 24 11:33:44 EST 2022

WASHINGTON, Booker T. MANUSCRIPT DRAFT OF HIS ANNUAL REPORT TO THE
TRUSTEES OF THE TUSKEGEE INSTITUTE with AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED.
[Tuskegee, AL], [early 1906?]. A handwritten manuscript by Washington
consisting of 17 pages (numbered 1-3, 7-14, a-f) on 17 8-1/4" x 11"
sheets, apparently missing pages 4-6, with a partial typed transcript.
The handwritten letter by Washington is to the trustees of the Tuskegee
Normal & Industrial Institute and is SIGNED as "Principal." Washington's
thorough report on the state of Tuskegee drawn up for his trustees. It
is apparently a manuscript draft intended for publication, although we
have not found any printed copies. It includes discussion of the
institution's guiding principles and challenges in addition to the
details of finance and fundraising. Washington acknowledges the
difficulty of his unique student body: "The fact that so large a
proportion of the students depend upon the cotton crop for the money
with which to pay their proportion of the expenses at the school, makes
it necessary for many of them to leave school at the beginning of the
planting season and not return till the cotton crop is gathered" (page
3). A "visit of the President of the United States" is mentioned as a
highlight of the past year (page 3); we know Theodore Roosevelt visited
in October 1905. Washington also mentions work on two campus buildings:
"The work on Tantum Memorial Hall and the Tompkins Dining Hall is going
forward at a rate that would indicate that the Tantum building will be
completed in the early fall, and the dining hall some time within the
next 18 months" (pages 8-9). Tantum Hall was completed in 1907, and work
on the dining hall continued from 1905 to 1910 while funding was
secured. Other topics include efforts to secure a reliable fresh water
supply, the Institute's finances, and an effort to contact 200 former
students in the Montgomery County area, including many "who remained at
the school but for a few months, but ... their lives have been made
stronger and more useful. The demand for the services of our men and
women is still far beyond the supply ... from the white people of the
south" (page 11). The 1899 gift of 25,000 acres from the federal
government is discussed: "our commissioner has been successful in
selling acres ... and the proceeds are being added to the endowment
fund" (page a). A new benefactor named Dotzer is discussed who "first
became interested through a summer meeting held at the Poland Springs
Hotel, Maine" (page d). Washington concludes: "The problem of securing
the support for the school is often a hard and perplexing one, but I
believe if the institution continues so thoroughly and economically the
work that is needed for our race, that we shall meet with approval, and
success will crown our efforts." Minor wear with a one-inch closed tear
to first sheet. Near Fine. (#020851)        $9,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020851/booker-t-washington/manuscript-draft-of-his-annual-report-to-the-trustees-of-the-tuskegee-institute-with-autograph

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each
thereafter for Priority; $8 for the first item; $4 for each thereafter
for Media Mail. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American
Express, and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.
We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and
19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential
Autographs, Illustrated Books, and one of the largest inventories of
Limited Editions Club books. *We have been in business since 1987 and
are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
(ILAB).* Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638