[Rarebooks] FS:The Sunny Road- Home Life in Dixie in Civil War 1920 Edition Southern Memoir

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jan 6 09:24:45 EST 2022

"The Sunny Road. Home Life in Dixie During the War"

by S[amuel] A[ugustus] Steel.
No place, no date (1920).

Samuel Steel [1849-1934] was born in Grenada, Mississippi, and worked
as an itinerant preacher before attending Emory and Henry College in
Virginia, and then the University of Virginia, where he was also
chaplain. The Methodist Church kept him on the move around the
southern states, with posts in Richmond, Meridian (Mississippi),
Memphis, Louisville, Kansas City, Nashville, and finally Mansfield
(Louisiana), before he retired and began his second career as an
author in 1919. Although only a boy when the war was fought, Steel was
an unrepentant Lost-Causer who wrote several Bible studies and two
other books defending the South in the War, including the
unequivocally titled, “The South Was Right” (1914). His papers are
held at Emory University.

A cloth edition of this title, which recounts his youthful years
before and during the war, was published in Memphis in 1925 by Latsch
& Arnold but this, and a second card-cover volume apparently preceded
that edition. The author begins the foreword by noting, “This is the
first of what may be several volumes containing the recollections of
the author’s trip along THE SUNNY ROAD of life, how many will depend
on the way this goes”. It evidently went well enough for a volume two,
but not well enough for a volume three.

Card covers. 5”x7.75”, portrait frontispiece, 160 pages. Covers with
some wear and soil, corner loss to rear cover. Inscription inside the
front cover over-penned, frontis with some age-toning and soil. $125

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images500/th-51389-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images500/th-51389-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images500/th-51389-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images500/th-51389-cover4.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.