[Rarebooks] FS: O. W. Holmes MANUSCRIPT POETRY in Howard Pyle Illustrated Book

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Jun 22 11:19:46 EDT 2022

HOLMES, Oliver Wendell. DOROTHY Q. TOGETHER WITH A BALLAD OF THE BOSTON
TEA PARTY & GRANDMOTHER'S STORY OF BUNKER HILL BATTLE. Boston & New
York: Houghton Mifflin and Company, 1893. Revised Edition. Decorated
cloth. Illustrated with plates, drawings, head and tail-pieces by Howard
Pyle. An interesting copy inscribed on the front blank: "Dear Dr.
Holmes/I am going to give/this charming little edition/To my Wife/on her
birthday/18th Nov. 1892/Don't you want to add, for/her, a value
beyond/printing ink by a stroke of/your pen?/W.W. Vaughan." Holmes has
obliged by writing on the recto of the frontispiece 8 lines from the
book beginning with the line "Soft is the breath of a maiden's Yes" and
ending with "You may hear to-day in a hundred men." Holmes has added the
page numbers where the lines appear and SIGNED and dated the quote
"Boston, November 18th, 1892." Laid in is a SIGNED card by Holmes with
the same date INSCRIBED "With my best wishes for/Mr. and Mrs. Vaughan."
Front endpaper and blank partly detached at the top; small tear to the
head of the spine. Near Fine. (#018668) $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/018668/oliver-wendell-holmes/dorothy-q-together-with-a-ballad-of-the-boston-tea-party-grandmothers-story-of-bunker-hill-battle

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825