[Rarebooks] FS: Naditch, et al, The Aldine Press

info at johnhowellforbooks.com info at johnhowellforbooks.com
Thu Mar 17 12:57:54 EDT 2022

With the recent passing of Paul Naditch (1948-2022), I thought I would
remind folks of the important bibliography about the Aldine Press that
Paul edited. The work contains a descriptive bibliography of all the
Aldine works held in the UCLA Murphy Foundation Gift of the Aldine
Imprint Collection. It also includes descriptions of other Aldine works
not held at UCLA. This is an important reference for anyone collecting
Aldine imprints.

[Aldine Press] NAIDITCH, Paul, BARKER, Nicolas (b. 1932), editor, and
KAPLAN, Sue Abbe, associate editor.

The Aldine Press: Catalogue of the Ahmanson-Murphy Collection of Books
by or Relating to the Press in the Library of the University of
California, Los Angeles, Incorporating Works Recorded Elsewhere.
Berkeley, etc.: University of California Press, (2001).

4to. 12 1/4 x 9 1/4 inches. (674) pp. Half-title, title page printed in
red and black, catalog of the collection that is divided into 6
categories with an appendix, lists / illustrations of typefaces,
printer’s devices and watermarks, indexes and concordance; text clean,
unmarked. Full tan cloth with pictorial printed front cover label,
printed paper spine label, and black-stamped title of the publisher at
foot of spine, matching cloth-covered slip-case; binding square and
tight. LG421-001. Fine.

$ 475

FIRST EDITION, first printing. The Aldine Press revolutionized the
production, accessibility, and use of the book. Founded by Aldus
Manutius (ca 1452-1515), the press introduced a number of innovations
that helped shape the development of the modern book, including italic
type and a smaller, pocket-sized volume. The book offered here is a
descriptive bibliography of books in the Ahmanson-Murphy Aldine
collection at the University of California, Los Angeles (together with
abbreviated notices of Aldine Press works not at UCLA), a world-renowned
collection of books printed by Aldus Manutius the Elder (1449?-1515) or
his heirs, Paulus Manutius (1512-1574), and Aldus the Younger
(1547-1597). The book is carefully annotated, handsomely produced, and
slip-cased, and has proved to be a major resource for Aldine studies and
the history of the book. It contains nearly 1,200 entires, along with
illustrations of typefaces, watermarks, printer’s devices, and indexes
and concordances. This copy has been in the possession of the printer of
the edition, the Bieler Press, since it came from the binder, is in the
original shipping box, and has never been opened. It is in pristine
condition.

https://www.johnhowellforbooks.com/product/5229

I have a number of new, unused copies of this title available for
purchase on my website. Courtesies are available to the trade; contact
me directly by phone or email in this case. For others within the US,
you can order via my  website, and I will honor the $4.00 shipping
charge, although actual shipping costs will be much higher for this
large book. International customers please contact me directly for
actual shipping costs. CA residents at 9% sales tax.

John Howell
310 367-9720
jnhowellforbooks at icloud.com