[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Letter by Charles Francis Adams to George W. Curtis

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed May 18 11:21:39 EDT 2022

ADAMS, Charles Francis. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Quincy [MA], 1
October 1874. Three-page letter on both sides of a 10" x 8" sheet to
author and editor George W. Curtis responding about a series of lectures
being organized by a man named Carpenter. Adams says he has an aversion
"to all the system of lecturing which had been carried on so
systematically of later years.... It would be a great inconvenience to
me to break off from the prosecution of my present undertaking, which
will be likely to absorb all my remaining days of usefulness.... He
mentioned your name, that of Dr. Woolsey and Mr. Schurz as within the
perview of the plan. What could I say but that if gentlemen of that mark
were ready to advance, I could not fall back?" Curtis, editor of
HARPER'S WEEKLY during the Civil War years and one of the most
influential American journalists of any day, also was known for his
speeches, one of which was a tribute to Charles Sumner. Curtis also had
the honor of helping Thoreau build his cabin on Walden Pond. Fine letter
from one important American figure to another. Near Fine.

Charles Francis Adams Sr. (August 18, 1807 - November 21, 1886) was an
editor, writer, politician, and diplomat. He was a son of John Quincy
Adams and grandson of John Adams, about whom he wrote a major biography.
Adams served two terms in the Massachusetts State Senate before running
unsuccessfully as vice-presidential candidate for the Free Soil Party in
the election of 1848 on a ticket with former president Martin Van Buren.
During the Civil War, Adams served as the United States Minister to the
United Kingdom under Abraham Lincoln, where he played a key role in
keeping the British government neutral and not diplomatically
recognizing the Confederacy. (#020898)   $350

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020898/charles-francis-adams/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each
thereafter for Priority; $8 for the first item; $4 for each thereafter
for Media Mail. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American
Express, and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.
We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and
19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential
Autographs, Illustrated Books, and one of the largest inventories of
Limited Editions Club books. *We have been in business since 1987 and
are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
(ILAB).* Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638