[Rarebooks] FS: Charles Sumner Handwritten SIGNED Letter

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu May 26 14:19:37 EDT 2022

*SUMNER, Charles. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). [Washington], March 30.
A one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED on a 10" x 8" sheet of paper folded
in half by Sumner to Charles P. Eaton of Boston replying to his request
to secure a copy of a speech by Maine senator Peleg Sprague. Dated
"Senate Chamber/March 30th." "It is wholly uncertain whether I make any
speech on the English treaty. If I do, and it is published, I shall be
happy to send you a copy." Creases from folding. Near Fine.
Senator Charles Sumner, perhaps the most influential man in public life
after Lincoln at the end of the Civil War, was a notable advocate for
emancipation of the slaves and later for civil rights. He was severely
beaten on the floor of the United States Senate by Representative
Preston Brooks of South Carolina in retribution for Sumner's attack on
Brooks's uncle, South Carolina Senator Andrew Butler, and the
Kansas-Nebraska Act in his "Crime against Kansas" [May 19 and 20, 1856]
speech. The beating nearly killed Sumner, and it took him several years
to recover. The beating also contributed significantly to the country's
polarization over the issue of slavery and has been considered symbolic
of the "breakdown of reasoned discourse" and the use of violence that
eventually led to the Civil War. (#020897)        $200*

*https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020897/charles-sumner/autograph-letter-signed-als
*

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each
thereafter for Priority; $8 for the first item; $4 for each thereafter
for Media Mail. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American
Express, and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.
We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and
19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential
Autographs, Illustrated Books, and one of the largest inventories of
Limited Editions Club books. We have been in business since 1987 and are
proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
(ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you. CHARLES AGVENT 37 Ridge Drive Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638
484-575-8825 info at charlesagvent.com Please visit our shop:
https://www.charlesagvent.com