[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Katherine Anne Porter SIGNED Letter on Creative Writing

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Sep 6 12:32:27 EDT 2022

PORTER, Katherine Anne. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) on Creative Writing.
Southbury, CT, 13 January 1957. A fine two-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED
(TLS) on two sheets of blue 8-1/2" x 11" paper to journalism teacher
Frank M. Flack of Pierce Junior College in Los Angeles, @400 words with
several minor ink corrections. In small part: "...what are
'Communication Skills'? publicity writing? lecturing? acting?
speech-writer for a politician? What you call creative writing and I
call writing is perhaps on one level a 'communication skill,' only God
knows why it should be described in such a foggy, roundabout term; it is
actually one of the fine arts ... and it must continue to be described
as such ... if we are not to allow our mother-tongue to flatten and
stiffen into a horrible meaningless clacking noise.... there is no
formula for turning out a creative writer. There is only the secret of
the individual talent ... and the teacher helps to free this talent ...
reading every kind of excellent literature ... such as Yeats' MEMOIRS …
Henry James … Jean Cocteau's JOURNALS … Virginia Woolf's COMMON READER …
they will learn how the artist's mind works…. They should be encouraged
to read WUTHERING HEIGHTS, WAR AND PEACE, and not just know them as
moving pictures….” Porter mentions a few of her own works and closes
with more advice: “Teach the young their language from the great
sources, give them the chance to read good literature, and ‘Creative
Writing’ will take care of itself.” Creases from mailing. Very Good.
(#020980)        $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020980/katherine-anne-porter/typed-letter-signed-tls-on-creative-writing

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825