[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Theodore Dreiser Letter on Writing Fiction

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Sep 7 14:12:14 EDT 2022

DREISER, Theodore. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) on Writing Fiction. New
York, 21 February 1938. Superb two-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) on
personal letterhead to Michael Kowan regarding his doctoral thesis and
giving "merely an offhand statement about my own attitude." In part: "I
think creative writing has more to do with emotion than any other single
factor. Generalized and intensified feeling for life is what is
expressed. When a writer traces the course of a complete emotional
cycle, what you might call a selected causal chain, one view of it, or
whatever, he has his work laid out, and the name by which it is called,
novel, short story, play or poem, or whatever, really comes after the
fact. It is the amount of material which is involved in the feeling
which determines the form of the work. When you ask what is fiction and
what is the novel I must say that I think the question is useless. The
only place where such questions come up are 'borderline cases' where
personal opinion is, after all, the only criterion.... The process of
construction is not as slow or as cold as you imply in your questions.
The idea or emotion completes itself, builds itself up. I can't imagine
myself ever sitting down and figuring out a plot without the characters,
their emotions, environment, and the ensuing scenes all well
visualized." The last three words quoted are inserted in Dreiser's hand.
With the original envelope. Heavy creases from mailing. Very Good.
(#020963)        $1,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020963/theodore-dreiser/typed-letter-signed-tls-on-writing-fiction

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825