[Rarebooks] FS: James Russell Lowell INSCRIBED to Publisher John Owen with a SIGNED Letter from Lowell to Owen

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Sep 16 10:20:57 EDT 2022

LOWELL, James Russell. THE POETICAL WORKS OF JAMES RUSSELL LOWELL.
Boston: James R. Osgood & Company, 1876. Household Edition. Publisher's
gilt-decorated green cloth in red cloth dustwrapper with gilt-lettered
red morocco spine labels. Presentation copy INSCRIBED on the front blank
from the author to John Owen, the publisher of Lowell's CONVERSATIONS ON
SOME OF THE OLD POETS: "To/Mr. John Owen/with the author's regards./16th
May, 1877." Tipped to the front endpaper is an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED
from the author to the publisher regarding the terms of publication of
the above volume, written from Elmwood, 18th Feby. 1876. In full: "Dear
Mr. Ticknor, I return you the contracts. I think that hitherto there has
been a specific statement of the number of copies to which the author is
entitled, which I do not find in these. If the new contract is in the
same terms as that you have made with Mr. Longfellow (with the
exception, of course, of the amount to be paid), I am ready to sign it,
as I told you, though my friends think that I should have held out for a
larger sum. But that I leave as before to your own judgment of what is
fair to both sides. Very truly yours, J. R. Lowell." An interesting
insight into the negotiation process between a major 19th century author
and his publisher. From the William Harris Arnold and Frank Maier
collections, with bookplates of both on the front pastedown along with
bookplates of Thomas Wallace and Henry Andrews Ingraham. This copy sold
at the auction of Arnold's books in 1901 and again in the sale of
Wallace's library in 1920. Both sales describe the dustwrapper as being
present and while it is certainly contemporary to the period, we cannot
be certain that it was issued by the publisher. The ink in the letter is
dark and clear. The covers are bright and the dustwrapper has only minor
wear at the spine tips with wear to the labels. Close to Fine in a Near
Fine dustwrapper.

In addition to publishing Lowell, John Owen was a schoolmate and
lifelong friend of Longfellow as well as the publisher of his first
works. His other friends included Nathaniel Hawthorne and Franklin
Pierce. (#020933)        $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020933/james-russell-lowell/the-poetical-works-of-james-russell-lowell

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825