[Rarebooks] fa: MEMOIRS OF THE KINGS OF SPAIN 1700-1788 - William Coxe - 3 vols. 1813

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 12 11:11:52 EDT 2023

Auction ends Sunday, April 16. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

https://tinyurl.com/39s48v7h

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

William Coxe: Memoirs of the Kings of Spain of the House of Bourbon, from the Accession of Philip the Fifth to the Death of Charles the Third: 1700 to 1788. Drawn from Original and Unpublished Documents. London: Printed Longman, Hurst [et al], 1813. First edition. Three volumes, 4to (27 cm), in early/period speckled calf with gilt-tooled borders, gilt-lettered spine labels, marbled endpapers.

Bindings with rubbing and edge-wear, sunning/darkening to the spines; foxing to the title-pages and the first and last few leaves of each volume, a few stray small spots elsewhere, otherwise the contents are very clean and fresh, firmly bound. Front paste-down with the engraved armorial bookplate of Sir Robert Johnson Eden, Bt. (1774-1844). A very good example of this work, important for its use of previously unknown sources and "in many places entertaining, and, on the whole, a valuable accession to our historical information" from "one of the most useful of modern historians" (Samuel Allibone: Critical Dictionary, I, 442-3)