[Rarebooks] FS: 1876 Robert Winthrop Speeches on Washington Monument & Ben Franklin

Joslin Hall Books & Ephemera office at joslinhall.com
Mon Apr 24 09:55:03 EDT 2023

Washington, Bowdoin, and Franklin, as portrayed in Occasional Addresses

By Robert C. Winthrop. Published in Boston by Little, Brown and
Company in 1876.

A series of addresses given by Winthrop, chief amongst them the
dedication speech he gave as the Speaker of the House of
Representatives at the laying of the cornerstone of the Washington
Monument in 1848.  He notes in the Preface to this volume that the
Monument still is not completed, and includes a nice lithograph
showing the work that has been done (174 feet), and the work still to
be done (they were going to 485 feet).  This is followed by four other
short works on Washington.  There is also the speech he gave about
James Bowdoin at Bowdoin College, and then a few speeches on Benjamin
Franklin, the Boston Tea Party, and the Centennial Commemorations at
Lexington and Bunker Hill in 1875.

Winthrop (1809-1894) was a very accomplished man, serving in the House
of Representatives and eventually becoming Speaker before being
appointed to Daniel Webster's Senate seat when Webster resigned.
Although he had studied law in Webster's office early in his career,
Winthrop had some difficulty filling the famous Union man's shoes in
the Senate, and was evidently not quite enough of an antislavery
firebrand for his Massachusetts' constituents, being defeated when he
sought the seat on his own.  He retired from public office to become
President of the Massachusetts Historical Society, a post he held for
several decades.

Hardcover.  6"x9.5", 186 pages, lithographed frontispiece of the
uncompleted Washington Monument; several folding facsimile plates;
original green cloth with gilt spine titles. Ex-lodge library with
bookplate and varnished spine with label; front endpaper badly
damaged, but otherwise only minor soil and light wear.  $45, plus $3
shipping.

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55190-1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55190-2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images540/th-55190-3.jpg>

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49
Hatfield, Massachusetts 01038 USA

-

www.joslinhall.com

Sign up for our email list, with Special Offers & Announcements sent
to your inbox ->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Join us on-

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Our Blog
https://foggygates2.blogspot.com/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

  ~ ~ ~

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

TERMS:

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, Paypal, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
  additional.

We regret that because of costly new VAT requirements and charges
recently imposed by the UK and EU which we do not have the staff
to deal with, we have had to suspend overseas shipments for the
time being.

We accept returns if we are notified within ten days of your receipt -please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
6.25% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America we
are committed to upholding high professional standards and making sure
your bookbuying experience is enjoyable.