[Rarebooks] INSCRIBED ASSOCIATION COPY

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 15:31:23 EDT 2023

Stuart, Charles B.
THE NAVAL AND MAIL STEAMERS OF THE UNITED STATES.  Illustrated with Thirty-Six Fine Engravings.N.Y.: Charles B. Norton. 1853.  First edition.  Lg. 4to. 216,21(1)pp.
Illustrated with 35 plates (see below) including a chromolithographfrontispiece, a portrait of the author and 6 double-page plates.  There
are both views of the steamers as well as technical drawings.  Boundin the publisher's deluxe binding of full pebbled dark brown morocco,
ornately gilt covers and spine - a view of a naval steamer illus. onboth covers.  This copy is inscribed by Stuart on the front free end-paper "Presented to Daniel B. Martin, Esq. Chief Engineer U.S. Navy, from his Friend, the Author".  Hinges of spine a bit rubbed, but an unusually bright sound copy.  A.E.G.  Title, text and plates with mild to moderate foxing, as often found with this book.
$1,000
    Although the title-page states "Thirty-Six" plates, I believe the    correct number in the first edition is 35 plates.  Howes (S-1094)    records 35 plates for the first, then notes that the second edition    also published in 1853 has 36.  Daniel B. Martin was the chief
    engineer of the U.S. Navy (1853-1857) following the service of
    Charles B. Stuart as chief engineer.  Clearly they worked closely
    together.  Note:  I have seen numerous copies of this book, but I
    have never seen another inscribed copy.

Kenneth KarmioleP.O. Box 464, Santa Monica, CA 90406310-266-1910.  kkarmiole at yahoo.com